These jalapeños have been sitting in my refrigerator a week now. It’s a shame to ignore them as I have- so I threw in the towel today. Well sort of. My current storage experiment: submerging them in rice and tucking them into the freezer, with the future plan to cook up the scented rice.
I’m excited to see how long it takes the rice to suck up some of that pepper power.
More ideas for making use of jalapeños
- Candied jalapeños, make use of these directions for making candied fruit. Instead of using oranges, submerge jalapeño slices in the sugar solution instead.
- Jalapeño jelly, which is so good mixed with cream cheese, or used as a bed for fresh fried hush puppies.
- Cream of jalapeño soup, which would be excellent served in a small glass with diced cucumber and topped with croutons. I wonder how this soup would do as a chilled soup?
- Pickled jalapeños, with a whole smattering of other good veggies: Chiogga beets, carrots, onions, and a side kick of limes
- Jalapeño vinegar, peppers with garlic in a glass jar with hot vinegar poured on top: quick and easy! You know this is going to be excellent drizzled on steak.
- Jalapeño brown butter ice cream, a special technique resulting in chewy rich spicy ice cream. Yes I said chewy.
- Jalapeño hot sauce, a handful of peppers blurred into spicy shakable oblivion that can live in your cupboard. Excellent.