Strawberry on strawberry action

Sunday, June 21, 2009

I’ve only recently come to love strawberries.

Yeah- I know how odd that is… I had some silly convictions I carried with me through childhood as a picky eater. Strawberries use to be in that category of untouchable foods -like tomatoes. But now that I’m enjoying foods in season, strawberries have revealed themselves to be the nirvana that I had always heard about.

glazed strawberriesThis summer has given me practice in my favorite way to prepare my sliced strawberries. This makes strawberries taste restaurant Grandma quality good, and is better than sprinkling strawberries with sugar. Your strawberry shortcake will thank you!

For a pint of juicy strawberries with amplified flavor:

Not only are these extra juiced up berries good on ice cream and cake, but they’re wonderful spooned over yogurt.

posted June 21st, 2009 at 4:04 pm

There are strawberries, and there are strawberries. I mean, the big woody ones sold at the grocery store aren’t really strawberries. But the local seasonal ones, either from your yard or Sauvie Island, are amazing.

Sort of like raspberries. It’s always disappointing to buy them, because they are red. The really good ones are soft, sweet, and almost purple.

Ahhh- you remind me of a point I meant to make in the post.
A crucial tip:
when buying buying berries- only choose the ones that smell like sweet fruit. If they have no smell when you hold your nose up to the pint- just say no.

posted June 21st, 2009 at 4:14 pm

Now that is just beautiful. Wow.

- Rosa
posted June 22nd, 2009 at 5:30 am

Oh yummy! Those look so good. Why do I have to live somewhere where it seems almost impossible to get fresh, seasonal berries. By the way, would this method work with other berries?

I was just wondering about that Katrina… I think it would.

I haven’t tried it on other fruits, but: if you want it wetter, and sweeter, then it should work. Just use the same fruit of jam (or not- to add more flavor) and add to slices (peaches, apricots, kiwi?). I think that sprinkle of salt to the exposed fruits innards helps bring out their juice.

Raspberries probably won’t need squishing, blueberries might.

Let me know if you try this on something besides strawberries.

cheers –McAuliflower

posted June 22nd, 2009 at 7:23 am

Pretty pretty! I had one of those great culinary accidents with strawberries this weekend. On Wednesday, I bought some strawberries with the intent of eating them raw but life got busy and I forgot all about them until Friday. So I cut them up and sprinkled them with sugar, thinking I would serve them with a little cream for dessert. But I forgot about them again. Sunday morning, I noticed them again in the fridge and felt guilty. I hate wasting good fruit. So I dumped them in a sauce pan, added the juice of one lemon, and boiled them for thirty minutes. We spooned them over our stacks of pancakes and were in heaven. Viva la berry!

Ooo- strawberry pancakes! Nice save and great idea.

posted June 23rd, 2009 at 5:02 pm

I made this tonight with peaches. It was awesome. I posted about it on my blog if you want to check it out. I ended up using it with puff pastry to make a tartlet. Thanks so much for bringing such a simple and yummy recipe to my attention.

Excellent! That tart looks fantastic.

cheers

posted June 24th, 2009 at 8:20 am

Looks yummy. Sometimes the best pleasures come from the simplest foods. Ah, fresh, fully ripe strawberries! I love ‘em.

One of my favorite ways to serve them is sliced and slathered with Artisana raw coconut butter, which looks like the lovey white icicing you see on cinnamon rolls. It has a consistency like thin almond butter; coconut oil is not the same. You do need to stir the coconut butter really well and store it at room temperature.

Another favorite it home made whipped cream sweetened with honey, stevia, or a combination of the two. Here’s the recipe. It’s super easy to make and keeps well for many days in the fridge.

posted June 24th, 2009 at 9:07 am

Alright, you got me, I’m heading to the kitchen to make this the second I finish writing!

posted June 27th, 2009 at 11:05 pm

My favorite is to do this with raspberries, but instead of a jam syrup, I use frozen berries. I just let the bag thaw completely, add a pinch of salt, simmer for 5 or 10 minutes, and run through a sieve. It’s divine over fat, fresh raspberries, but works amazingly well with all berries. And the color is unreal.

- molly
posted June 28th, 2009 at 9:27 pm

gotta disagree with you on this one.

Fresh (and only FRESH)room temp strawberries, melted dark chocolate, a light drizzling……THAT is nirvana!!

- Lori
posted July 2nd, 2009 at 10:52 am

And it doesn’t get better than Grandma quality.

posted July 24th, 2009 at 8:01 pm

Toss some mango in there!

- Joe
posted August 1st, 2009 at 12:08 pm

Lovely recipe. Strwaberry is my fav. You can send your entries for solakdi fruit feast

posted September 2nd, 2009 at 6:52 am

Strawberry tarts are my favorite!

posted September 7th, 2009 at 7:50 pm

Excellent Idea.

Olga.

posted September 7th, 2010 at 6:57 pm

This is what you called strawberry yum yum yum. My favorite!

- miro
posted July 19th, 2011 at 10:46 pm

First off I would like to say wonderful blog! I had a quick question that I’d like to ask if you do not mind. I was curious to find out how you center yourself and clear your head before writing. The comic strip is attractive, your authored subject matter stylish. nevertheless, you command get got an shakiness over that you want be delivering the following. ill no doubt come more until now once more as precisely the similar nearly very often within case you defend this hike.

posted August 4th, 2011 at 11:02 pm

A number of us learn all of the compelling way you produce rewarding information through this blog and as well strongly encourage contribution from others on the area so my girl is in fact being taught a lot of things. A number of us learn all of the compelling way you produce rewarding information through this blog and as well strongly encourage contribution from others on the area so my girl is in fact being taught a lot of things.