New tricks for your coffee

Sunday, May 10, 2009

You might be like me. Someone who can’t leave what’s good enough alone. Coffee is one of those things for me. Rarely can I drink it plain black, and rarely plain warm. Want to teach your coffee to jump through hoops? Here are some ideas.

coffee zen

posted May 10th, 2009 at 11:11 pm

If it’s about the “hoops”, it’s not about coffee at all. Coffee is just a flavoring. May as well be a coffee-flavored Torani syrup you dump in your milkshake.

- swag
posted May 11th, 2009 at 4:34 am

I’ve added a few different spices to the coffee grounds before and always like the results, but I have never thought about trying salt or pepper. I can’t wait to see how that would be. Thanks for the great ideas!

posted May 11th, 2009 at 5:41 am

I use stevia and cream. I like the borderline licorice flavor that a pinch of stevia adds.

- Joe
posted May 11th, 2009 at 2:28 pm

Salt and extra spice love to your coffee? Seriously brilliant. I myself love turbinado and a splash of vanilla hemp milk for a quickie ‘oh crap I’m out of time and don’t want to stand in line at Starbucks’ cup o’ coffee at home, but now I feel the urge to get up a bit earlier tomorrow morning and play with my brew a bit :)

Thanks for the caffeinated inspiration!!

posted May 13th, 2009 at 10:29 pm

Speaking to premoistening – try taking a small jar – fill 3/4ths with fine ground coffee – top up with any strong hard alcohol. Cap tight.

Use half as much grounds as normal. The alcohol extracts extra caffiene.

This is Romani coffee. It’s countertop stable for months even in the summer.

As a kid we always had two or three quart jars going – one with vodka vs brandy (my mom’s choice), one with a vanilla bean as well, one with orange zest, and sometimes one with a cinnamon stick.

My dad swore the bottom of the jar was the best and would hide a jar occassionally “To give it a chance to develop…”

Did the same thing with black tea leaves.

- daubermaus
posted May 14th, 2009 at 4:50 am

Oh you are my new favorite person! I make an Americano every morning using my Turkish espresso maker. I’ve done the powdered cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom or ginger in with the grounds as they brew; maple syrup and honey in the coffee; and tossing a cinnamon stick into the tablespoons of extra ground coffee I end up with when my measuring is off. I’ll definitely try the vanilla bean pod and orange peel trick.

As to swag’s comment above – yes, coffee is about coffee, and I love straight espresso, Americano and black coffee, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with mixing it up every now and again!!

Cheers,

*Heather*

posted May 14th, 2009 at 6:32 am

Love the coffee inspiration! I do get tired of the same old brew and now I’m gonna mix it up a bit!

posted May 16th, 2009 at 10:06 am

It all sounds good to me!

- Rosa
posted May 20th, 2009 at 8:40 am

I buy a unique mix at a local specialty store- whole coffee beans mixed with cocoa nibs- and consider it the best thing ever. No matter the brewing method, it has a beautiful mocha flavor without having to add any sugar or “weird stuff”.

- Alliey
posted May 21st, 2009 at 1:52 am

[...] First up is Brownie Points’ New Tricks for Your Coffee, certainly one of my favorite posts of the week, maybe ever. She gives us ideas on how to [...]

posted May 21st, 2009 at 1:13 pm

I cannot tell you the depths I will go to for a good cup of coffee. It’s not pretty.

- EB
posted May 23rd, 2009 at 12:12 pm

[...] a better cup of coffee. McAuliflower at Brownie Points gives 7 tricks on how to enhance the flavor of coffee. I don’t drink/make a lot of coffee so my coffee [...]

posted May 23rd, 2009 at 12:17 pm

It’s all about the vanilla sugar for me!

- Leslie
posted May 23rd, 2009 at 6:43 pm

[...] tried salted hot chocolate, which was VERY good, so I’m going to try salted coffee, just to see if I like it. However, the commenter at the very bottom reminded me that I want to [...]

posted May 24th, 2009 at 1:39 pm

this is just awesome …thank you so very much !!

posted May 24th, 2009 at 4:47 pm

Oh my! Yummy! Such great ideas! I love them.

posted May 25th, 2009 at 9:14 am

nothing to do with coffee, but I just rediscovered anchovies!! Anchovie mashed potatoes, and anchovy scrambled eggs!!

- Joe
posted June 2nd, 2009 at 6:46 am

I don’t think this has anything to do with drinking real coffee. Why don’t you just get instant and add stuff to it? Real coffee drinkers drink fresh-roasted, properly ground & brewed coffee black.

- Peet Dickason
posted June 9th, 2009 at 9:35 pm

In order to reduce the acidity of the coffee, add crumbled eggshells to the coffee grounds before you brew it.

- Dee
posted June 23rd, 2009 at 7:50 pm

And I’ve had all my coffee for the day. But I wanna try them all right now!

In the past, I’ve mixed vanilla or red pepper flakes/ground cayenne into my grounds. I do like a spicy coffee!

- Dave O
posted July 3rd, 2009 at 8:01 pm

I’ve been enjoying the results of one or two lavender blossom heads into the mocha pot right as I put the pot on the burner.

best if the resulting brew is iced and sweetened.

- Dave O
posted July 4th, 2009 at 4:11 am

Wow, thanks for sharing this with us!

- Lou
posted July 24th, 2009 at 3:08 am

excellent post, it’s true how something so regular but still good as a cup of coffee can turn in something extraordinaire with a little twist. thanks for reminding us such thing

posted July 26th, 2009 at 6:27 am

hi~!! i’m korean.

i’m barista. um….good-bye!!

posted April 6th, 2010 at 7:51 am

I like to sweeten my coffee with a dash of amaretto!

- Evo