Recipe: jam soda

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

I’m a beginning preserver.

A beginner in that I learned how to put up jam only last year. More so, a beginner in that I don’t quite have a handle on realizing I have to eat what I’ve preserved.

The jars of green beans and peaches were a delightful surprise. However, the many many jars of pantry jam have me realizing I don’t eat that much toast, or jammy cookies.

My jam guilt turned my mind to resourcefulness, and I now have a quart of apricot vanilla soda in my refrigerator, by the graces of my beginning jam excursions. Oh yes. I don’t even have to suggest what a bounty this could be… bourbon mixers, sodas, Italian cream sodas in any flavor of jam you have?

A little warm water, a soda siphon, and your tasty summer efforts are all you need to create an amazing array of flavored sodas.

Jam soda

apricot vanilla bean soda made from jammakes one quart

materials:

ingredients:

instructions:

More lovely things to do with jam

posted April 7th, 2009 at 6:50 pm

I REALLY like this idea. I, too, am not a toast’n'jam eater, and people keep giving me preserves… Bingo!

posted April 7th, 2009 at 6:58 pm

Look at you! JAM SODA! In all my years of having a jam and marmalade collection I NEVER would have thought! So innovative!

Please don’t leave behind the famous Bakewell Tart for fabulous uses of jam. Or Jammy Dodgers. Or mixed into tart yogurt. Or eaten out of the jar with a spoon for no special occasion.

posted April 7th, 2009 at 7:27 pm

That sounds freaking delicious. We’re looking forward to making interesting jams and jellies from Asian fruit! perhaps stage 2 of jam making is as a cocktail mixer? Kumquat jam-soda and rum anyone?

Ooo I’m drooling over here!
For some odd reason I didn’t put bourbon in my apricot soda. I must go fix that. :)

posted April 7th, 2009 at 8:54 pm

Oh thank god. Oh thank you. I still have jars of jam from last season and my horrible attempt at shortbread cookies with strawberry freezer jam fell flat. JAM SODA OF COURSE! And of course, this could be the perfect base for spring/summer cocktails, right?

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

- Lelo
posted April 8th, 2009 at 8:48 am

i put jam in plain yogurt too – yum!

- Angela
posted April 9th, 2009 at 5:34 am

Home made jam makes oatmeal even more delicious,(also roasted pecans). I came to your site via marshmallows do you just cook fruits into a puree for your recipe. Thanks

- jo march
posted April 9th, 2009 at 7:31 am

Ooh apricot vanilla soda sounds so very delicious! I always put jam on the side of my bowls of cereal, but that’s just me.

posted April 11th, 2009 at 1:51 pm

I spend at lot of money at http://www.sodaclub.com because I have an intense soda addiction and like to make my own. I was also saying this morning that I have to put up more preserves next year since I’m all out of jam. I mix it with yogurt, use it as the base for BBQ sauces, mix with soy sauce for cooking chicen and serving over rice, tossing into cookie or pancake batter, etc.

Alton Brown has a good celery soda recipe. Seems worth trying but I don’t prefer to drink my calories, unless they’re in a mojito. Made basil mojitos last weekend.

posted April 14th, 2009 at 8:26 am

Oh, yum. Apricot vanilla would be just perfect. And this is a seriously fantastic way to use up end-of-season preserves. I am TOTALLY lobbying for a soda siphon :)

- lo
posted April 15th, 2009 at 7:04 pm

You are officially brilliant.

- EB
posted April 17th, 2009 at 9:41 am

yummy….sounds delicious…I’ll try this version. thanks.

posted April 18th, 2009 at 6:52 pm

What a great idea. I am definitely going to try it.

- Amy
posted April 21st, 2009 at 7:10 pm

When I was young my family used to can fruit, make jam and freeze all kinds of things for the winter.

I found jam, with a little water added makes a wonderful fruit syrup/spread for waffles and pancakes.

As mentioned above, excellent in hot cereal and mixed in yogurt as well.

It will keep for a couple years, if you cannot use it up within a reasonable time. :)

posted April 21st, 2009 at 7:19 pm

I wish you would write more. Yours is my very favorite food blog.

- Joe
posted April 29th, 2009 at 11:43 pm

Totally fizzilicious! (Is that even a word?) Anyway, this is definitely a try-out list topper….

posted June 16th, 2009 at 4:00 pm

Now that’s what I call creative!!! I would have never thought of that, but it makes sense. Watch out Coca-Cola!

Oh just you wait! You are going to have so much fun thinking of all the crazy fresh flavors you can whip up.

Cheers

posted July 12th, 2009 at 10:14 am

[...] lavender jam- I can imagine this being slathered on a pork roast, or used to make a nice jam soda mixer. [...]

posted August 5th, 2009 at 6:18 pm

posted August 26th, 2009 at 11:51 am

posted February 20th, 2010 at 12:20 pm

[...] Jam Soda: use jam as the flavor base and sweetener for homemade soda [...]

posted August 8th, 2012 at 8:24 am

I’ll right away seize your rss feed as I can not in finding your e-mail subscription hyperlink or newsletter service. Do you’ve any? Kindly permit me recognize in order that I could subscribe. Thanks.