Crystalized orange

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Here’s an accidental kitchen science project report:

I happened to leave/submit/forget a handful or orange slices from my Christmas candied orange slices in their final sugar solution for an additional 3 months.

I finally pulled the remaining slices out of their unrefrigerated sugar solution to find them completely encrusted with large blocky sugar crystals.

honeyed walnuts with yogurt

These resulting candy orange slices are a delightfully crunchy version of the best candied orange slices in the world. The big wonky sugar crystals are gorgeous to look at, and the rind and peel of the fruit seem even more translucent and transcendent… presenting a Platonic Ideal of a candy orange slice.

I soooo need to make these again in grapefruit, lemon, and blood orange batches…

posted March 19th, 2009 at 9:22 pm

I love your blog! Those look great, btw. I’ve been dieing to candy some lime along with the oranges, nice color contrast.

posted March 20th, 2009 at 7:41 am

One question, did you use a slicer to slice your oranges or a knife? They look so thin and uniform (after looking at your blog post from a few months ago). If you did use a slicer, do you mind sharing what brand/kind you used?

Hi Angie
I used a knife to slice the oranges. What helped is cutting the orange in half first, and then resting it on that flat surface and slicing thin.

However, having just finished eating these babies, I noticed the slicker slices are just as good if not better (more to chew on). Getting these cut THIN isn’t crucial.

best of luck

- Angie
posted March 20th, 2009 at 8:38 am

What a gorgeous photo, I think my mouth watered a little when I saw it.

I have an orange tree and am always baffled at what to do with all these oranges (I’m not a juice drinker). I am so going to try this!

Thanks for the happy accident.

Oh lucky you!

I’m trying another batch of candied citrus right now ala the slacker method (not as precise, just need to increase sugar each day-ish).

Now you’ve got me fantasizing about your orange tree… :)

– McAuliflower

posted March 20th, 2009 at 7:08 pm

WOW! Great photo — I want to make them now too. I have a link to your blog from Nibbles of Tidbits. Thanks! Shelly :)

posted March 22nd, 2009 at 7:18 pm

Wow – what a good idea! And you didn’t even do it on purpose!

posted March 25th, 2009 at 12:45 pm

It’s always cool when accidents bring good results!

posted March 28th, 2009 at 1:41 pm

Great photo! I hope you show pictures if you use blood oranges!

posted April 8th, 2009 at 8:35 am

How do I know when these guys are done?

When they taste good could be an indicator.

- amy j.
posted April 8th, 2009 at 6:13 pm

great- then I’m close!

- amy j.
posted April 11th, 2009 at 12:52 am

Hey there :) I’m from Bulgaria and actually here this is a traditional kind of candy, it’s been on the market for more than 80 years I think… I bought some of these the other day just to remember my childhood years, and as I see, you “accidentally” did them just the way they’re supposed to be. I MUST try doing them at home, so far I’ve only bought them. I don’t have kids now, but when I have, it would be soooooooo cool for them to make these slices at home :)
Congrats for the discovery! :*

- Dorka
posted May 12th, 2009 at 7:19 pm

(eyes welling up) I think I worship you.

- Ryan
posted May 15th, 2009 at 9:29 am

[...] Crystalized orange [...]

posted July 31st, 2013 at 11:36 pm

What’s up colleagues, how is the whole thing, and what you wish for to say on the topic of this piece of writing, in my view its really awesome in favor of me. My web blog – Hotel World – FriendFeed