Sunday, November 30, 2008
Do you have on your gift list a smart ass cook who thinks they’ve heard of everything?
Then Le Sanctuaire may be the website for your gift shopping!
Le Sanctuaire items for choosy cooks
- Black Garlic: “Aged black garlic is garlic that has been naturally fermented to bring out powerful antioxidants, while removing all of the smell and odor typical to regular garlic. It has a milder aroma and sweet and sour flavor with a wonderful texture which melts in your mouth like a jelly. It contains no preservatives or additives.”
- Black Summer Truffle Juice: “Made from Italian black summer truffles that were hand-picked one by one. This product is completely natural. It contains a high concentration of suspended truffles. Excellent as a base for pasta, risotto, and other sauces.”
- White Poppy Seeds: “Lighter and mellower than blue poppy seeds, they are mostly used in India to thicken and add flavor to curries. They are cooked with jaggery and coconut, enveloped in a case of flaky pastry and deep fried. They are sprinkled over naan bread and cooked in a clay oven (tandoor). In Turkey and Middle East they flavor bread and desserts.”
- Long Cru Madura Whole Peppercorns: “Freshly harvested from our own farms in Indonesia, the spikes of the minute fruits are harvested green and sun-dried, when they resemble gray-black catkins. Mostly used in Asia, East and North Africa in slow-cooked dishes and pickles. It smells sweetly fragrant, and initially resembles black pepper in taste, but it has a biting, numbing aftertaste.”
- Green Sichuan Peppercorn: “Green sichuan peppercorn is rarer and much more citrusy than the red variety. Also known as flower pepper, this sichuan pepper is very fragrant, citrusy, woody, somewhat pungent. It has a numbing effect in the mouth. An important element in Chinese Five Spice, the berries are dry-roasted for 3-4 minutes to release their aromatic oils, then ground with the rest of the spices.”
- Reine-des-pres: “Also known as Queen of the Meadows, this flower has rich medicinal properties. Its perfumey and aromatic characteristics makes its usage common for desserts. Similar to elder flower, this flower can also be made into syrup.”
- Yuzu Juice: “Yuzu is a Japanese citrus that has an aroma and flavor that is distinct from any other citrus fruit, somewhat akin to a cross between grapefruit and lime. It is one of the most important ingredients for Japanese cooking. Our pure yuzu juice is 100% salt-free.”
- Elderberry Vinegar: “The elderberries were harvested ca. 20 km south of Vienna, at the peak of their ripeness, had their stems removed, were pressed only by their own weight (“strain must”), and brought to an alcoholic fermentation by adding pure cultured yeast. Ideal for roast meats and game, giving balance to sauces, and jams and pastries.”
- Inulin: “Inulin is a specific type of dietary fiber that is naturally found in hundreds of common foods such as leeks, artichokes, asparagus, onions, garlic, bananas, wheat, rye, and chicory root. Inulin has excellent nutritional and functional characteristics and can be used to replace fat, flour, and sugar. Inulin has several health benefits: it promotes healthy digestive system, helps manage diabetes, and improves bone health. Inulin also improves flavor and texture. Its taste is comparable to sugar and can be used as a sugar replacement.”