Golden Roasted Cauliflower

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Five years ago I never would have expected to find myself in this place,
craving cauliflower season.

This is the benefit that eating seasonally gives you: vegetables become special again. In my household, cauliflower is eaten fresh, and always in season (until I grasp the joys of picked cauliflower that is) and usually always roasted.

Strange but true, these toasted nibbles taste like the outer coating of chicken nuggets. I mean that as a good thing.

This recipe for golden roasted cauliflower will be the best you’ve ever eaten, as long as you stick to these crucial points:

This will ensure that your florets are crunchy, salty, almost deep fried tasting.

cauliflower all gone

Golden Roasted Cauliflower

adapted from the 16 page long eGullet thread on roasted cauliflower
one medium head serves two polite individuals as a side

preheat the oven to 400F.

Break up a head of cauliflower into small florets, smaller than thumb size. The smaller the pieces, the higher your ratio of golden roasted bits to white will be.

In a bowl, toss the florets with 2 tsp of oil and salt with 2 large pinches of salt.

Spread out on a half sheet pan.

Cook in the preheated oven, tossing and stirring up the florets every 10 minutes till golden brown.

Flavor Variations- toss raw with

posted October 15th, 2008 at 4:05 pm

This was what I cooked on Day One of the first year of cooking a vegetable in a new way every day for A Veggie Venture. It’s sooo good!

posted October 15th, 2008 at 6:49 pm

Oh, yes. Roasted cauliflower is the first vegetable that made me go: whoa, I totally understand vegetables now. I liked them before, but it was honestly a bit of a revelation for me. I like to roast the whole head, and coat it in a garlicky vinaigrette. yum.

- Kate
posted October 16th, 2008 at 4:46 pm

This is one of my FAVORITE things to make, especially for guests. They often don’t know what it is when they first taste it. It’s revolutionary, as far as I can tell. Oh man, I care way to much about food. I can’t believe I just typed that!

I love mine with red pepper flake and lots of salt. I have some truffle salt that I ought to use with my next batch. Mmm…

“one medium head serves two polite individuals as a side” LOL. I always have to buy the biggest head I can find for my husband and me!

posted October 16th, 2008 at 4:47 pm

I love roasted cauliflower. Yesterday I made it with a garlic vinaigrette. everyone eats it!

posted October 17th, 2008 at 8:41 am

I haven’t tried roasting cauliflower yet, but I definitely will now. I can’t get my husband to eat cauliflower otherwise. “It’s a texture thing” Whatever!! But I do roast a lot of broccoli. We especially love it with lemon zest and freshly squeezed lemon juice and sea salt on top. Absolutely delicious! I also roast butternut squash w/EVOO, sea salt & pepper and when it comes out it tastes like candy. Love it, love it, love it.

posted October 18th, 2008 at 11:24 am

oh yum. love your dish though. THAT looks good enough to eat. a bit hard & crunchy, for certain.

posted October 26th, 2008 at 4:03 am

Thank you for sharing your golden roasted cauliflower recipe.. I love learning new vegatarian recipes…thanks

Andy

posted October 27th, 2008 at 8:09 pm

I found your blog the other day and have had so much fun reading! Thanks for all the great ideas and recipes.

This technique is also fabulous with brussel sprouts, actually the only way I like my sprouts. Can’t wait to try it with the cauliflower! Thanks

posted November 1st, 2008 at 12:13 pm

My wife told me to have you try the brocoflower, it’s delicious. I have yet to try the orange cauliflower I just cut the head thru in slices to your desired thickness. spread on a well oiled cookie sheet with slices of garlic, sprinkle with salt and roast at 400.

- ray marquard
posted November 3rd, 2008 at 5:53 pm

I have always loved cauliflower – I used to be the one to eat all the cauliflower and radishes off the crudite tray!

Roasted, steamed and mashed, raw … it’s all good to me!

- Abby
posted November 7th, 2008 at 10:16 am

Roasted cauliflower is simply the best…I bought a huge head yesterday and my dog and I have almost finished off the whole thing. He loves it as much as I do! My husband, not so much, which just leaves more for us.

- Heather
posted November 12th, 2008 at 1:11 pm

This is a new one for me. I routinely do not care for anything but raw cauliflower. I will give it a try for sure!

posted November 16th, 2008 at 3:43 pm

Very nice. I have also a site for recipes for cooking, but you have to translate the Google translate. I am from Slovakia.

posted November 18th, 2008 at 6:23 am

Interesting, very nice. I am from the Slovak Republic. I am also a site for recipes for cooking. Only it be translated through Google translate.

posted November 26th, 2008 at 12:44 pm

[...] sounding recipe for a vegetable that is a byword for blandness (except when properly cooked):  Golden roasted cauliflower.  If you’re headed to the parents’ house tomorrow, or if you are one of the parents, [...]

posted July 15th, 2009 at 7:36 am

I tried this recipe yesterday and couldn’t believe how good it was. I actually forgot to check on the cauliflower and thought I had burnt it. The florets were a golden brown as if they had been fried. I wasn’t expecting the crispiness but that’s what made the dish so tasty. This is a keeper and one I will make regularly. Thx!

- Tony
posted November 23rd, 2009 at 11:07 am

[...] taste delicious when roasted. Try the garlic-roasted green beans from Kalyn’s Kitchen, the golden roasted cauliflower from Brownie Points, or the roasted broccoli with chili garlic oil from Pinch My Salt. Photo by Fat [...]

posted March 29th, 2010 at 3:08 pm

Made this tonight and it was DELISH. I thought I didn’t like cauliflower but it must’ve been because I never had it roasted. The family enjoyed it too. Thanks for sharing!

posted October 8th, 2010 at 3:32 pm

I always liked califlower, raw, steamed .. But I roasted it for the first time today. Just with olive oil and sea salt and fresh cracked pepper-OMG ! It was so Delicous. I told my husband “this can be my whole meal “. He won’t even try it. I live on Long Island – used to be a Califlower capital- and its fresh in all the stores now. I will be roasting every week now !

- Teri Walsh
posted November 20th, 2011 at 6:59 pm

After finding this recipe, we have started to regularly roast cauliflower with curry powder and curry paste in addition to the oil and salt. The flavor is simply out of this world good! Thanks so much for the recipe and the curry suggestion.

- Matt
posted June 4th, 2014 at 1:24 am

Please let me know if you’re looking for a article writer for your blog. You have some really great posts and I feel I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I’d absolutely love to write some content for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine. Please blast me an email if interested. Cheers!

posted August 10th, 2014 at 7:18 pm

You reaslly make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be really something that I think I would never understand. It seems too complicatewd and extremely broad for me. I am looking forward for your next post, I will try to geet the hzng of it! Look into my web site – Las Vegas Refrigerator Parts

posted September 13th, 2014 at 12:32 am

Hi there colleagues, nice article and good arguments commented here, I am truly enjoying by these. My web-site: how to start a social media site

posted October 16th, 2014 at 3:08 pm

Thanks for sharing such a good idea, article is pleasant, thats why i have read it completely Also visit my web-site … private jet hire prices