Whoops: mistakes in the kitchen

Saturday, September 27, 2008

Nothing like a round of bad luck with pie dough to set your kitchen ego straight.

This was suppose to be a beautifully golden baked pie crust to build my chocolate raspberry coconut cream pie upon.

Instead, my pile of old beans that I use as pie weights crushed into my delicate dough and caused it to under-cook. Blech. And note I didn’t have any parchment paper between the beans and the dough. Double whoops. Picking those suckers out of the dough wasn’t any fun. And popping the dough back in the oven just made it crack all over the bottom.

Sigh.

almost pie crust

posted September 28th, 2008 at 12:25 am

Aluminum foil works, too – just put a layer on top of your crust and then put your weights (ceramic balls, metal chains, old dried beans or whatever) on top. My mom always used beans, I love my ceramic weights, but I drool over the linked metal weights that you can pick up all at once.

posted September 28th, 2008 at 5:53 am

Ha! Maybe you should make a bean pie… ?

posted September 28th, 2008 at 6:44 am

But the photo stays. It looks so arty! Love it.

I always skip that bean/parchment paper nonsense and my tarts and crusts turn out perfectly fine. In fact, I’ve been reading over so many tart crust recipes that call for cream, parchement etc… and it get’s almost pretentious. The best crust I’ve ever used is from the collection I inherited from my great-aunt. And it’s from Betty Crocker of all things. 1/3 cup, plus one tablespoon shortening, 1 cup flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 3 tablespoons cold water. Prick the bottom and bake at 475 for 8-10 minutes. I use this recipe for everything that calls for a crust and I’m never disappointed.

posted September 29th, 2008 at 5:48 am

The picture is great though! it caught my interest immediately with the thought of ‘what in the world is she making!?’

- dot
posted September 29th, 2008 at 10:10 am

Oooh, I have done that one myself. I was expecting culinary brilliance while it was baking and when I pulled it out I thought, well, I have a long way to go, don’t I?? I love the picture though.

posted October 1st, 2008 at 6:12 am

Hey I applaud you for the pie attempt! I’m a pie wuss.

- EB
posted October 2nd, 2008 at 3:04 pm

How about using rice, that works nice for me : ) Hope that helps

- Shelby
posted October 3rd, 2008 at 3:58 pm

Once I decided to go to culinary school I began having a series of spectacular kitchen failures. The worst: I rushed a pie dough and popped it into the oven when it was way too warm. The result was a pie crust that literally MELTED off my pie, all over the bottom of the oven. Not pretty, and lesson learned. Butter and Crisco live in my freezer now!

- Beth M.
posted October 5th, 2008 at 9:14 am

I love foodblog posts like these. I believe that you’re really cookin’ when you screw things up from time to time. If we always followed “the rules” to the letter, we’d never learn what was optional, what was a good idea, what we absolutely must do or terrible-ness will ensue. And without failure, we never get those flashes of brilliance… or, perhaps “tastiness” in this context? :-)

How do you make your pie dough? I’m a wuss when it comes to pie.

posted October 5th, 2008 at 8:01 pm

At least the picture looks cool!

- Sara
posted October 7th, 2008 at 7:13 am

Thanks for sharing about your mishap – this sounds like something I would do. And the photo is definitely very interesting! Cool texture.

posted October 7th, 2008 at 5:38 pm

So, dear daughter, I’ve never been able to “blind bake” a pie shell with good results. Mine do just like yours did, always raw on the bottom if I lined it. If you fill it with beans or rice they do get stuck! I freeze my pie shell and fork the sides and bottom many times over and then bake it, skipping the beans, rice, foil or what ever. I might have “saggy” sides once in a while but I’ve had better luck doing it that way…

- MoM
posted October 13th, 2008 at 9:46 am

I love that you blogged this. If only I was so brave about my gardening failures this year, and there have been many.* FAIL!

Hey, at least you got a great photo out of it!

*Who the heck fails with zucchini?! ME!

- Lelo
posted November 2nd, 2008 at 12:04 am

I love your site and I’m so glad you shared this little pie crust mishap, it has happened to me a few times!

- Jen
posted November 9th, 2008 at 2:01 pm

I did this recently too! I am glad I am not the only one.

- Michele
posted November 12th, 2008 at 1:17 pm

Lol. Thanks for sharing. I was actually thinking of a “cheese” pie until I read your post.

posted May 14th, 2014 at 9:50 am

Mais dix ans apr?s l’inimitable Dream Team, qui avait marqu? les d?buts des pros am?ricains en s?lection, les Etats-Unis demeuraient invaincus ? l’heure d’entamer le Championnat du monde chez eux, ? Indianapolis. Laboatoy of Appied ThemodynamicsContacto: MTC (S) (coodinato), LATAUTh and MECELThis poject invoves the design, deveopment and demonstation of new technoogy fo the podction of 2nd geneation biofes fom waste cooking oi. Des finitions impeccabes mais ne connectiqe imit?eUta-fin et dot? d’n ch?ssis en aiage d’aminim et de magn?sim, e U260 est indisctabement n be objet.
Pens?e innovatrice 2012 : exprimez-vousDeloitte a de nouvSportif Chaussure Nike basket jordan organis? son concours annuel Pens?e innovatrice. A a 67e, Cavani a inscit e 22e bt de sa saison en Seie A, d’n ti eno? d pied doit. Une construction simple et rigoureuseLa construction est simple et rigoureuse, c’est celle, ?labor?e par les ma?tres du XVIIe si?cle, que lui ont enseign?e ses professeurs : au premier plan, sur la berge, un [URL=http://www.sport.fr/basket/airjordan.asp – basket air jordan[/URL – arbre forme ?cran, derri?re l’arbre, le plan d’Basket-ball Chaussures NIKE air jordan conduit le regard jusqu’? l’infini o? les lointains bleut?s rejoignent le ciel.

[URL=http://www.sport.fr/basket/airjordan.asp?id=19 – Basket Femme[/URL –
[URL=http://www.sport.fr/basket/airjordan.asp?id=30 – jordan pour fille[/URL –
[URL=http://www.sport.fr/basket/airjordan.asp?id=7 – Basket Jordan Pas Cher[/URL –
[URL=http://www.sport.fr/basket/airjordan.asp?id=4 – Nike Air Jordan Pas Cher[/URL –
[URL=http://www.sport.fr/basket/airjordan.asp?id=6 – Baskets Jordan[/URL -