Playing with homemade pizza dough

Sunday, September 7, 2008

I lightened up the rules of culinary rigidity today and went a bit crazy making pizza dough. The sort of pizza dough that would make an Italian look at me in despair.

This current batch has a hefty scoop of garlic powder and of onion powder added to it. I figured I may as well make it visually distinct too, so it also has poppy seeds kneaded in.

I just hope this violation of tradition doesn’t send me to pizza dough purgatory.

poppyseed pizza dough

posted September 8th, 2008 at 5:18 am

the only question is… how does it taste??

- dot
posted September 8th, 2008 at 6:30 am

I’ve been playing around with whole wheat pizza dough lately, trying to get the nutrition of whole wheat without compromising flavor and texture. I haven’t thought about adding seeds before though, I bet sesame would be good!

- Sara
posted September 8th, 2008 at 8:08 am

Eh, if it tastes good, who cares about being “authentic”? I do a whole wheat pizza crust, which would probably horrify many Italians as well. Heck, the sauce and toppings aren’t exactly Italian at this point!

- Kathy
posted September 9th, 2008 at 6:28 am

I agree with dot, I’m waiting to hear how it tasted. If it tasted good then the hell with the rules.

posted September 9th, 2008 at 11:26 am

So dear daughter, you must not remember pizza dough from home…? Try adding some of your shredded cheeses in the dough as well. Adding a good teaspoon of Italian seasonings makes for a tasty crust. Also try using beer for your liquid for a quick sour dough flavor.

yum yum yum!
thanks for the taste bud reminder mom.

Mmmm- now I want beer-made pancakes. For dinner?

- MoM
posted September 13th, 2008 at 9:22 am

OMG…this looks sooooooooooooooo good.
Now I feel like I ‘need’ pizza…and I’ve only just had lunch!

posted September 25th, 2008 at 2:15 pm

Looks delish. Have you tried grilling pizza? It’s my favorite way of making it these days. yummm.

- Kara
posted September 26th, 2008 at 6:17 pm

Well perhaps not… Anyway, I picked up some Black Indian Salt, kala namak, and it is a nice change of pace from regular salt. Currently I use Himalayan red rock salt and this black salt. I picked up both at my favorite Indian store. I think the black salt would be good on some pizza bread. :)

- Joe
posted November 12th, 2008 at 1:20 pm

Seasoning the dough is the way to go. I live in a very rural area. Pizza delivery is not an option. But pizza on Friday nights is a must. I haven’t tried grilling though.