This formerly tomato-hating jam eater is finding herself in an odd situation. I’m finding myself on the obsessive end of a relationship with my tomato jam.

I blame it on a number of things, but mostly I have several culinary moons converging:

blt

My fate has been sealed. After one hot and sweaty night of stirring jam for what seemed like forever, I’ve been enjoying this luscious preserve on all sorts of sandwich concoctions:

In fact, this jam has caused me to violate the put-up-for-off-season-enjoyment principle of preserve- I only have one baby food sized jar left from my batch.

…I know what I’m making more of this weekend!

More uses for tomato jam from more food blogs

posted August 28th, 2008 at 12:22 am

I love tomato jam. One of my uses: blend with cream cheese and lemon juice and zest and serve on crackers with shrimp.

this sounds great Carla. I love shrimp spreads.
Are these the tiny shrimp, or big ones all chopped up tiny?

cheers

posted August 28th, 2008 at 7:25 am

when i lived in nashville, the jam and jelly aisle (in a piggly wiggly) was full of pepper and onion jellies. I can’t even remember half of them, but they were great!!!!!

- Joe
posted August 28th, 2008 at 8:23 am

sounds YUM!

Stomach growling … craving goat cheese, egg and Tomato Jam sammich … want it now!

posted August 28th, 2008 at 3:03 pm

Love the sandwich photo… the bread is hypnotizing!!! Great work.

posted September 2nd, 2008 at 8:34 am

I’ve never tasted a tomato jam, but I’m thinking I’m going to need to try some now! Great sandwich!

We’d like to invite you to participate in our September apple and peach recipe contest. All competitors will be eligible to win one of three prizes :) ! Please email me, haleyglasco@gmail.com, if you’re interested. Feel free to check out our blog for more details: http://blog.keyingredient.com/2008/08/29/september-kick-contest/

Thanks :) ,
Haley
KI Blogger

posted September 10th, 2008 at 11:46 am

Hi! I am always looking for new tomato recipes this time of year, now that I have canned and roasted and frozen to my heart’s content, so I have had this in the back of my mind for a week or two. I just made it today!

Holy Cow, is it good! I didn’t have any ginger (well, I do, I know there is a knob floating around the fridge somewhere but I couldn’t find it), so I used garlic instead. I also used only half the amount of sugar called for, and it came out plenty sweet, though I did have to cook it another half hour longer. I will definitely make another batch before my garden gives out.

I’m thinking of it with some rosemary foccacia I’ll make tomorrow, some pesto (as the basil is also going nuts), some little bocconcini…

Thanks for the idea!

- Peggasus
posted September 28th, 2008 at 11:18 am

Great way to accompany all those breads I am making from the book, Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a day. I think my husband will love this!

posted October 1st, 2008 at 5:19 pm

[...] Seven Cooks has been having it with bread and cheese as well. Brownie Points has been using it on a smattering of sandwich selections. Mac and Cheese is another Tomato Jam fan. And Erin’s Kitchen used the jam to usher in the [...]

posted October 5th, 2008 at 1:53 pm

[...]  I found four different tomato jam recipes, including a link to Mark Bittman’s recipe on Brownie Point’s blog which is where I probably saw it originally.  That recipe also best matched what I had at home so [...]

posted November 12th, 2008 at 1:22 pm

Being the only one in the family that will eat tomatoes, an over abundance is always a harvest away. This jam sounds great.