This weekend our household took one further step towards reducing our use of our local grocery store with the purchase of a soda siphon.

We’ve been frequent purchasers of unsweetened carbonated water in citrus flavors, choosing that as our soda replacement. About a year ago I decided to not buy plastic bottles of water, picking up glass bottles instead. Now we’re drinking out of our own cups with no bottles at all.

I’m interested in flavoring our water. Ideas so far:

Hrmm- would cinnamon water be too much?

posted June 11th, 2008 at 11:05 am

What a fantastic idea! I feel silly that I’d never really given thought to adding one’s own fizz at home, though like you we’ve recently started drinking carbonated water as our “home pop”. Thanks for the tip!

posted June 11th, 2008 at 11:55 am

We have been contemplating forced carbonation of our homebrews so I could easily see myself doing this. I love me some fizzy water.

posted June 11th, 2008 at 3:41 pm

I’ve just started playing with simple syrups; today I made a chili, ginger, and lime syrup that is going to be used in a dessert, but I’m also interested in seeing how it tastes in a soda. Making your own ginger syrup, perhaps?

- Erin
posted June 12th, 2008 at 2:07 am

You need to pick the Fryar’s brain on this one – he’s got a geekerific set up in the garage that produces fizzy water by the gallon.

As for flavorings, if you get sugar-free espresso syrups and cream, you can make low-carb italian sodas. yum.

- Steve
posted June 12th, 2008 at 9:40 am

What a great idea! I am a fizzy water freak and always wondered about a soda siphon for home. In to reducing around here. What are your recommendations on which soda siphon? Also would really love to hear more details on your freezer pop containers.
Thanks so much for Brownie Points love your blog

- coffeechris
posted June 13th, 2008 at 9:06 am

I’ve been making my own ginger syrup that I mix with seltzer water for homemade gingerale and it’s truly a marvel. Take fresh ginger root and a few peppercorns and boil together with water and sugar to make a syrup. It’s powerful good stuff if you like a spicy beverage and delicious with whiskey.

posted June 13th, 2008 at 1:42 pm

Lemon and thyme! Just let it sit in room temperature water and then remove and fizz up. I’m sure this would work with slices of orange just as well, stick in a clove or two?

And I think Erin is right, something with ginger and lime sounds like it has to be tried.

these are great flavor projects!
fizzy herbals- interesting!

posted June 14th, 2008 at 6:47 am

1) wherever people suggest lemon or other citrus, use the zest. The zest is the skin without the white stuff. Some people, like the Chinese, like the white stuff, some like a fraction of the white stuff. I like 0%. Let the zest sit in the liquid for a while so it can impart its taste. I also put a little citrus zest in vodka and let it freeze in the fridge (because vodka is alcohol it doesn’t actually freeze, it just gets syrupy).

2) Lots of bits of ginger from fresh ginger is great. It’s the best homemade ginger ale. Or ginger beer (lots of ginger beer recipes on the net). I have never used pepper, as a writer above suggested. Sounds interesting. I’ll try it soon.

posted June 14th, 2008 at 1:15 pm

What kind did you get? I read an article in the NYT that reviewed the different brands and none were very favorable. I’d be interested to know if you’re happy with the one you bought.
Try cucumber, lemongrass, blueberries or other berries, maybe?

I bought an ISI soda siphon. It works well- nice high level of carbonation with one canister of CO2.

- Sarah
posted June 14th, 2008 at 6:39 pm

I’ve done this before, lavender is excellent, as is lemongrass. My favorite is probably rhubarb.

Ahh- sounds like a fan of the Dry Soda line (me too).

- Dave
posted June 16th, 2008 at 3:03 pm

This sounds excellent. I was thinking of making my own simple syrups to add to club soda, but now I want a siphon! I think fresh raspberries would be wonderful, or maybe carrot and rosemary?
Also, where do you get a CO2 canister?

- Fiona
posted June 18th, 2008 at 8:02 am

We bought my brother a soda machine for his birthday, and he can’t get enough of that thing!

posted June 19th, 2008 at 1:31 pm

I can tell you from experience that cucumber slices in water are awesome. No macerating needed.
Mint leaves work well, too.
I didn’t have any luck with rose petals; still tinkering.
Good, Mac!!!

Wow- the cucumbers flavor the water so easily. Thanks for the motivation. We’ve been finding that about 6 thin slices is enough for flavoring a half gallon of water.

Hmmm- rose petals…

posted June 21st, 2008 at 3:05 pm

I love carbonated water, but it does get expensive. Great tip!

posted June 27th, 2008 at 10:51 am

All sounds so interesting and fun. Makes me want to get started right away! I am checking out soda siphons also. Was wondering though…how long does a CO2 cartrige last? Where is a good place to buy them? Thanks so much.

The cartridges store indefinitely. The soda water we make doesn’t go flat, but then again we consume the bottles worth in usually less than 4 days.

I bought my cartridges from the manufacturer (ISI). They are available on amazon.com too.

Best of luck

- Michelle
posted December 11th, 2008 at 2:18 pm

I have a Soda Club and I love it. I don’t really flavour my water although I got two free bottles of flavouring when I ordered my Soda Club. I ordered mine with 3 canisters of CO2 and I just put my 3rd canister in recently (bought it early July). I love having as much sparkling water as I want and not using so many bottles/cans. And of course, the kids love it too. I make sodas for them with far less sugar than store bought. So, all around it’s a great deal.

Only down side is that I have to ship my canisters back to the dealer. But, since I have 3, that’s a once to twice a year issue. That’s still far easier than toting a bunch of bottles/cans to and fro.

You know, I’m really thinking about flavouring with cukes now. Thanks for the great idea. <

- Guppy