How does one get their kitchen compost habit started?

By declaring it popsicle weather which promptly provokes one into cleaning out and organizing their freezer to make room.

lurking popsiclesThe bonus with cleaning out the freezer is that the cell walls of your frozen collards, freeze burned peaches, and what ever else you’ve unearthed are already well on their way to being exploded and perfect for breaking down even faster than fresh kitchen compost scraps.

We’re trying out compostable bags in our compost kitchen bucket to help encourage us to take it out to the momma compost bin more frequently than we have in past attempts.

posted May 17th, 2008 at 8:36 pm

Where did you find the compostable bags? I have the bin, complete with odor filters, I found at a “store everything” kinda place near Alderwood Mall. But they didn’t have the bags and I’ve not seen them anywhere! It would be — has been thus far — a disincentive to use the thing if I have to wash it every time I empty it.

Whole Foods carries them. They even have a kitchen scrap/compost size. My current bin is a plastic bucket that was used to ship urea(!). We’ll see how it goes!

Here’s a picture of the packaging/branding of the bags.

- Susan
posted May 19th, 2008 at 8:20 am

Kitchen composting is super easy and the biobags can certainly help, although they will slow down the degradation process a little. Gardeners Supply carries a nice selection of containers and bags: http://www.gardeners.com/Compost%20Crocks/CompostPails_Cat,default,sc.html

I started with a ceramic one, but it was a little heavy and hard to clean out. Now we have the stainless one which can go in the dishwasher every once in awhile.

Obviously, any container will do, but it seems to be easiest if it’s right there on the counter, so it may as well look decent.

Oh yeah, Gardeners also has lots of large compost bin options as well.

Will we get to hear about what kind of popsicles you make? I haven’t made them in ages, but I have molds!

Thanks for the suggestions Robin. Maybe we’ll try dumping the bags as we take them out.

And you bet you’re gonna hear about the popsicles! Those are coming up real soon. :)

- Robin
posted May 20th, 2008 at 8:44 am

Ooh I learned about this practice somewhat recently. It’s really a great idea.

posted May 25th, 2008 at 1:48 pm

I like the idea of a compost bucket, but I will not spend that much money for what amounts to a plastic bin. If the smell gets to me, I just empty it, no charcoal filter needed! Once I rearrange my freezer a bit, I may just keep my scraps in there for the week.

- Sarah
posted May 30th, 2008 at 2:29 pm

I’m an apartment dweller, a vegetarian, love composting and hate the idea of both smells and bugs. So I keep a big tupperware in my freezer for scraps. This totally eliminates both rotten food smells and bugs, and there’s no need for biobags and the like. I just dump my compostsicle every week or so into the yard waste container in the parking lot. Easy urban composting!

- Beth
posted June 1st, 2008 at 3:52 am

Ooooh! A tupperware in the freezer actually goes back to justifying my freezer – what a great idea.

Now I just have to work out how to easily integrate it into my garden.

posted June 27th, 2008 at 11:00 am

Just started the habit of collecting kitchen waste for composting and I use a ice cream bucket with lid that I dump every few days in our make-shift bin out back. I was wondering what types of compost “piles” you all have and how then do you make use of your home compost? This is all new to me and we aren’t sure that we are doing it the best way. Thanks

Hi Michelle

We’re just learning too. There are lots of different compost styles. I recommend you check out a gardening book from your library to research what works best for your space and level of involvement.

cheers