+ the Salsa Rosa for One recipe actually feeds 10 quite nicely
+ one will not “seriously be fucked” if fusilli or penne pasta is used

salsa rosa pasta

+ an edited version of the book’s recipe for Salsa Rosa for One.

+ from Jonathan Ames essay, Eggs Over Uneasy:

“I have two personalities. Two idiots. The one who sniffs the milk and doesn’t throw it away, and the one who sniffs the milk two weeks later.”

+ from Steve Almond’s essay, Que Sera Sarito: An (Almost) Foolproof Plan to Never Ever Eat Alone Again:

“I would love to tell you that cooking was part of my journey toward actualization. I would love to tell Oprah this. I would love to tell Oprah this while weeping. But I learned to cook for a much simpler reason: in the abject hope that people would spend time with me if I put good things in their mouths. it is, in other words (like practically everything else I do), a function of my desperation for emotional connection and acclaim.”

When was the last time you ate alone?

posted May 2nd, 2008 at 4:09 am

I live by myself, and most of my friends live 20+ miles away through crappy traffic. So, I eat almost all my meals alone.

A semi-related question would be, “when was the last time you cooked for yourself?”

The hardest thing is to motivate to cook for just one.

- Steve
posted May 2nd, 2008 at 6:14 am

I ate by myself Tuesday night. The s/o was out with a friend, and I ate nearly a pound of asparagus with hollandaise, and chopped egg on top. It was so good, and messy — I ate it mostly with my hands. There was a fair amount of groaning, and “OMG THIS IS SO GOOD” going on, I was glad to be alone.

- Katez0r
posted May 2nd, 2008 at 8:20 am

My husband has been out of town all week, so I have done plenty of eating/cooking alone.

This week I went out to lunch by myself (something I rarely do). I went to Nostrana and sat at the bar and read and it was very nice.

I have been cooking at home this week too, mostly guilty pleasure stuff. I made potato and onion pierogies with butter and crema (I didn’t have any creme fraiche or sour cream), latkes with applesauce and more crema, a salad made up of equal parts tomatoes and bacon.

Nothing too healthy here, just looking for comfort.

posted May 2nd, 2008 at 8:46 am

Ah, sometime last month – homemade fried rice. OK, you start with take out rice, but the rest is all me – olive oil, rice, soy sauce, frozen corn and peas, an egg scrambled in at the last minute, then let it sit until it’s just a tiny bit crusty, then have a glass of wine and eat it (with a fork!) watching a baseball game on TV – the ultimate comfort zone!

Like your site very much – I lurk but haven’t commented – this post was great, thanks! – I’m off to get the book now . . . .

- Lisa
posted May 2nd, 2008 at 10:55 am

i eat alone most days, and 99% of the time it’s something i’ve cooked for myself. i think that’s why i started blogging my food in what was *supposed* to be a blog dedicated to design and DIY projects. my way of sharing over dinner?

posted May 3rd, 2008 at 4:16 am

I eat alone every lunch times except for holidays.
I eat a box lunch cooked by my wife.
I can’t cook at all.
Therefore my health depends on my wife.

- Kato
posted May 5th, 2008 at 2:02 pm

Eggplant and pasta…yum…this reminds me of a FANTASTIC dish I had at my new favorite Italian restaurant. It was rigatoni with an eggplant sauce, tons of delicious veggies and the freshest mozzarella I’ve ever had.

posted May 5th, 2008 at 7:50 pm

That Steve Almond quote is AWESOME!

I eat alone quite often. In fact, I’m making my dinner right now – a simple soup of Rancho Gordo marrow beans with black forest bacon and white onion, seasoned with fresh rosemary and sea salt.

I’ll eat it while watching House… ;-)

posted May 6th, 2008 at 7:05 am

I never eat alone – the cats won’t let me! I often cook for myself, but still haven’t gotten the hang of cooking for one w/ no leftovers. But there are several friends who benefit (hopefully they consider a benefit!) from my inability to do fractions…

- Liz