My $6 kitchen makeover

Monday, April 21, 2008

kitchen detailAre you like me and in a rental?

Are you stuck with details in your home that you can’t easily change?

I admit, I’ve been trying to not obsess over the tiles in my kitchen over the last year. They’re a random mix of green and white. I don’t do random, and I don’t like it when lines don’t line up- these tiles don’t go all the way over to their natural termination point. They just kind of stop mid-way under the overhead cabinets.

Well this week I finally bit down and fulfilled a fantasy I’ve been chewing on forever. It involved one roll of aluminum duct tape and a couple hours of fun. This aluminum tape is real duct tape- it looks like shiny metal and is self adhesive. I’ve used it in art projects to great results.

How did I use it in my kitchen?

kitchen beforekitchen after

Well, first I yelled out to Sweets, “You can’t come in here! …and when you do, you can’t say anything!”

Because what would / did he say? “I love you, but you’re silly.”

He just doesn’t obsess over details like I do, nor does he indulge shiny enough.

I used the tape as a ribbon and made a simple weave of it to just cover up those tiles. I didn’t use the adhesive side of the aluminum tape- I just kept its backing on. That way I can take this down easier when the time comes.

It was a fun project- and way cheaper than the option of stainless steel tiles seen in apartment therapy recently.

Now I can stand back and get to work obsessing over new details,
… like that horrible stove hood,
and more of those tiles by the sink…
and my old old pot holders…

posted April 21st, 2008 at 10:43 am

I like it! The shiny is a refreshing change from the funky green/white, and it’s great that you can take it down whenever you want.

How did you attach it to the wall if you didn’t use the adhesive side of the tape?

Hi Jenny

I used small spots of double sticky tape here and there (corners, some sides, a couple in the middle).

cheers

posted April 21st, 2008 at 11:54 am

I like it too! Also interested in learning more.

posted April 21st, 2008 at 2:07 pm

You’re brilliant! I think that my (rental) kitchen needs some of these shiny aluminum faux tiles.

posted April 21st, 2008 at 6:50 pm

Now the old pot holders are an easy peasy one…get sewing girl………..vbg.
Looks good you are very creative and I would obsess also.

posted April 22nd, 2008 at 1:02 am

I like shiny and you’ve used it so well.What a clever transformer you are!

- Maya
posted April 22nd, 2008 at 5:23 am

You are SO the next Martha Stewart I swear to god. ;)

Oooo- I’m not sure if she would resort to these materials in her kitchen. On a greeting card, or wrapped around a candle = yes. Maybe a bit too low brow for her kitchen… ? :)

posted April 23rd, 2008 at 4:01 am

soooooo stealing this idea when I move into my new place next weekend. I’m stopping at the hardware store on the way now!

I love this!!!!!

posted April 23rd, 2008 at 7:56 pm

I agree with the others, you must share exactly how you did this…. This is exactly what my kitchen has been craving!

What more do you need to know?
Just do it.

- pidgeon92
posted April 26th, 2008 at 8:23 pm

Wow. What an improvement! And how wonderfully creative. I love it!

- Barb
posted April 27th, 2008 at 6:45 pm

I am very, very impressed! So cool.
You’ll probably have to be super diligent about cleaning spatters with that new 3-D texture up there… but never mind me.
Very impressed.
Gawgeous.

posted April 28th, 2008 at 7:01 am

This looks great! I did a similar thing in a condo – I owned it, but couldn’t afford the stainless steel back splash I wanted so I used shiny chrome metallic poster board and spray adhesive to mount it on the walls – it looked great and really held up – and only cost $16. It was smooth and shiny – I love the woven texture of this. You did a great job! As always, thanks for sharing.
Nancy

- Nancy
posted May 20th, 2008 at 5:53 am

Looks sloppy and bad. sorry.

- betty
posted May 20th, 2008 at 7:21 am

Oh my! I have been rehabbing my ridiculous kitchen for a while now and have just TWO things left to do– adding the rest of the hardware and doing the backsplash. The hardware I have all figured out, however the backsplash has been an ongoing tussle with pricing and design. This is fabulous. I’ve never seen aluminum duct tape, although I can’t say I’ve actively ever looked– can you tell me where you get it?

- Erin
posted May 20th, 2008 at 8:50 pm

Love it! This idea is very creative.

- Shon
posted May 21st, 2008 at 2:49 am

I love it! So simple yet totally changes the feel of the wall. I don’t think it looks sloppy at all.

- Rachel
posted May 21st, 2008 at 5:26 am

(transported here from notmartha.org)

oh my, i do love this idea. i live in a rental home that i am constantly looking for ways to spruce up given my limitations on what i can do (did i mention i have that same ugly vent hood?) and i think i may just have to steal your idea. fabulous.

- steffy
posted May 21st, 2008 at 9:45 am

Brilliant! I’m in a rental with a kitchen that has ZERO aesthetics. This inspires me to make some non-permanent changes of my own. Thanks!

- EB
posted May 23rd, 2008 at 1:08 pm

Looks like I’m in the minority…
It looks like it cost $6.
Sorry :/

- Jackie
posted June 5th, 2008 at 3:41 pm

That is one of the coolest things I’ve ever seen! I’m so on my way to Lowe’s. Thanks for sharing your nifty idea!

- Susette
posted March 14th, 2009 at 9:12 am

I think this is a great idea. I don’t love the shiny surface, but I like it better than those hideous green tiles. I bet there are lots of other equally inexpensive products that would work in a similar way…

- Rachel
posted July 26th, 2012 at 3:45 am

Sorry but it looks cheap and nasty !

- Maria
posted August 8th, 2013 at 6:31 pm

And Maria would know from “cheap and nasty”.

Proof positive that whatever bright idea you have, somebody’s already thought of it. It’s August 2013, and I said hey, how about basketweaving aluminum tape for the backsplash, and so I Google Images “aluminum tape,” and there’s your kitchen.

OTOH, this means either that it’s a great idea or there is somebody out there with the same craziness I have.

- 6r
posted May 10th, 2014 at 7:01 am

rapaz groupJune 10, 2009dammi rap song i mean hip hop song yo yo yo pravu this is the rapaz groupand the remix fuenaritg prashanta do u kno yo yoहिंड्दै थिए म आफ्नै बाटोमाथिएन मलाई वास्ता कसैकोरमाउदैं थिए म मेरै स्वार्थमाबुझ्न खोजिन मैले तपाईंको प्रेमthis time m regreting coz i left uu r really great ya aaa yooo yoo godआफ्नो मनलाई रुवाएरकिन मलाई जान दिनु भोछाती आफ्नो दुखाएरटाढा मलाई किन पठाउनु भोu r only the light u do so well thing for us and died for usyo yo yo godयाद आएन मलाई तपाईंकोजब थिए म मेरै संसारमासम्झिए मैले तपाईंको प्रेमजब पाईंन यहाँ मैले साहाराu make me so good and kept in uor lap to hideu r my everything and u r my godyuoyoyoyo godथाहा थिएन समय फर्किन्छ भनेरतर फर्किंदो रहेछ तपाईंको समयब्याकुल भई फर्की आउँदाखुशीले भरिदों रहेछ तपाईंको हृदयfinally i thank u to b with me and choosing me m waiting for that great day which will b the great day 4 meyoo yoo yoo god