When this girl gets smoking

Sunday, April 6, 2008

When this girl gets smoking, all food items become suspect. This is the maxim I’ve been developing with my new smoker. The smoker has several shelves of space within, so it only makes sense to fill it up when ever I smoke something.

Perusing the food blogs Ideas in Food and 101 Cookbooks have helped spur my smoking creativity.

What non-meat items can you smoke?

smoke image by Flickr user Mrs. MazeI’ve been using cold smoke for non-meat smokings.

Brainstorming with friends have yielded the following to-smoke list:

Hmmm… I’m almost running out of things to not smoke.

posted April 6th, 2008 at 12:09 pm

I’m intrigued by the idea of smoked salt, and I think smoked garlic sounds like heaven!

posted April 6th, 2008 at 4:00 pm

Eggplant and all summer squash types are great smokables. Smoked leeks are great as well.

smoked mushrooms works ok, but the fungus dries out a bit and gets tough. Smoked reconstituted porcinis or somesuch might be a more cost effective experiment.

I assume you’re not planning on smoking ground spices? I think that’d kill ‘em instead of add flavor.

applewood smoked apples would be an interesting experiment.

uncooked rice?

the ideasinfood people have smoked all sorts of crazy stuff.

what about smoking some flour?

posted April 6th, 2008 at 4:05 pm

stupid me–you linked to ideasinfood in your post. I swear i read it before i started typing! honest! i’m just an idiot

posted April 7th, 2008 at 3:18 am

I’m jealous. I’ve been dreaming of having a smoker. Chipotle is so hard to come by in Australia and I have a bumper crop of chillies.

- Dani
posted April 7th, 2008 at 8:48 am

Chex Mix is the bomb when you smoke it!

- Mellisa
posted April 7th, 2008 at 11:10 am

Here! Smoke this!

posted April 10th, 2008 at 7:07 pm

you said “cheese”, but specifically I’m thinking panir, to then be used in rajma, a spicy kidney bean/panir dish not unlike chili. in fact you may have tried some rajma at the last co-op meeting. smoked panir! that’s as crazy as vegan magic shell. –patrick

Mmmm- yeah! Panir will hold up too if it gets a bit warm- I think? I love a good salty fresh paneer.

posted April 14th, 2008 at 7:36 am

Smokers are addictive. We got one last year (the Big Green Egg) and now my husband won’t stop trying to smoke everything, and I do mean everything. Other than meat, I think that the asparagus came out the best so far. We have smoked stuffed apples in apple wood, and the result was a resounding hit.

posted May 13th, 2008 at 6:14 pm

I love smoked paprika! It is so wonderful in so many ways…

By the way, I am in Portland, too…I found you on Lelo’s blog…She is great! I am selling some of my produce to a local cafe…Little Red Bike Cafe in NoPo, so check it out if you get a chance…

posted May 25th, 2008 at 10:36 am

What kind of smoker do you have?

- 9beanrow
posted June 5th, 2008 at 7:00 pm

[...] / chocolate bible, the Essence of Chocolate and gussied it up with chipotle, orange, and a touch of smoked sugar. The flavor combination is a winner- alluring, sultry, warm yet [...]

posted July 29th, 2008 at 12:40 am

Our smoker house is up and running. I am eating the bacon as we speak. We will now be trying butter, garlic, salt, sugar and maybe the blueberries. We are already doing chipotles here in australia and they are gorgeous. We smoke with gum here – there is plenty of it. Nice blog!

posted September 1st, 2008 at 12:16 pm

I had a party yesterday, and smoked everything.
I smoked potatoes for potato salad. Baked beans, corn, lemons for lemonade, and a few other things.
The big hit was the smoked peach cobbler. I made biscuits with smoked butter for the topping.

These are great ideas! Thanks for noting it here b-wik.

- b-wilk
posted October 14th, 2009 at 7:36 pm

I buy my smoked spices from the smokehouse salt co. website. They are the only ones Ive seen that has smoked sugar, smoked garlic and smoked onion.

- Ed