Take the egg survery

Friday, February 22, 2008

Zenger Farms ChickensHelp Portland blogger Michele Knaus in her thesis smack-down by taking her egg survey.

It asks your preferences in egg purchasing and delves into your understanding of phrases on egg cartons.

It impresses on me that there is nothing quite like knowing your egg-laying chickens personally!

posted February 24th, 2008 at 3:21 am

Hope ya don’t mind, but I poached your photo to promote Michele’s survey on my blog (poached… get it?).

posted February 24th, 2008 at 12:33 pm

There’s a big kerfuffle about this in the UK at the moment with celebrity chefs pushing organic and free range and expose type programmes on the tv and such.

I use free range eggs as my mother did and we’ve recently changed to organic milk as I’ve decided that I’d like to consume more organic food in 2008. I know many people who’ve never had anything organic or free range and they don’t see a problem with that, for me it’s it’s guilt over chicken welfare I think, I hate it that they’re kept in what is seen as good conditions but this contributes to ill health etc. Poor chickens!!!

posted February 24th, 2008 at 5:56 pm

there is such a major difference between fresh eggs, and supermarket eggs. the color alone is enough to make you search for fresh ones!

posted February 24th, 2008 at 7:38 pm

I have never had a fresh egg…I’m dying to “TASTE” the difference everyone is talking about.

posted February 27th, 2008 at 3:38 am

I don’t do our shopping or else I’d put my vote sin as well. But I know enough about eggs as we used to have several hundred chickens and we sold dozens of eggs every week to the local stores, neighbors, etc.

And yes, a fresh egg vs. the ones in the grocery store- they can;t be compared. So much richer and more vibrant in flavor and color!

posted November 24th, 2008 at 5:29 pm

I have discovered “Willamette Valley” eggs. They are so much better than those that have traveled across the country. In fact, they’re better than those from Washington. The yolks are yellower and the flavor is the best. We buy ours at Thriftway. I don’t know what other stores carry them. Also, when buying eggs from any source be sure to use the Julian date on the end of the box. That is the number with 3 digits and they show the day the eggs were processed. For instance 10/1 would show about 300. I eat an egg every day.

- Pat