Frozen Fruit Call: Make Muffins

Saturday, January 26, 2008

homemade muffinThis summer I turned my freezer into a fruit reliquary.

I have tubs of golden raspberries, a mob of marionberries, bags of blueberries, and morsels of strawberries. Living in the northwest is a blessing in that it seems to have a berry named for every country.

My problem? I sometimes get stuck in viewing these gems as precious. I’ll tend to not use them, because I don’t want to hasten their vanishing point. What good is a treasure if you don’t experience it?

Let’s thumb our noses at our wintry weather and make glorious fruit filled muffins out of our freezer gems. Muffins need not be of the death muffin variety (you know- those mini cake ones). They can even fit into a diet that’s sworn to be healthier.

I tossed my frozen huckleberries into the muffin making frey and was rewarded with a great breakfast morsel to go with my usual coffee.

Simply Recipes hosts my favorite muffin recipe. I’ve modified it nutritionally over time to great success: using a direct substitution of canola oil for the butter amount, using less sugar, and using whole wheat flour in place of some of the AP flour (~1 cup). Pop these baked goods in the freezer and they’ll keep fresh all week long.

What do you have lurking in your freezer that needs a coming out party?

posted January 27th, 2008 at 12:01 am

i confess i had to look up reliquary, but i’m so glad i did. i love that word. it is a perfect descriptor for the berries in the freezer.

i, too, had to get over the “don’t want to waste them” mind set. (like eating them is “wasting” them.) we just ate the last of our strawberries. *sniff, sniff*

your muffin pic is beautiful. got to love oregon berries, just got to!

posted January 27th, 2008 at 9:54 am

I have a few pounds of Hood Strawberries. I have no idea what to do with them, but I’ve been saving them long enough — I’m ready to use them.

- Kate
posted January 27th, 2008 at 10:07 am

Look at that glorious shade of purple! And thank you for the note about the nutritional modifications- good to know that it has been tried and tested. Do you think whole-wheat pastry flour would be better than whole-wheat flour in a muffin recipe (I have both flours- that is why I am wondering).
I have a bag of buckwheat flour lurking in the freezer- an impulse purchase just begging to be used.

posted January 28th, 2008 at 10:11 am

i just used up some
manoges
, and i have some peaches waiting to be eaten as well. problem is, i don’t have that *many*, and i love peaches so much that i can’t settle on a peach-worthy recipe.

posted January 28th, 2008 at 1:45 pm

I have some pumpkin that is begging to be made into a soup, but I’m afraid of just blowing it on a random Tuesday and not having it for when I really crave it.

Maybe this week. The weather is pretty awful and some pumpkin soup would help.

posted January 30th, 2008 at 7:06 pm

I do that with berries, too. I ought to use those strawberries that have been hanging out in the freezer since September!

posted January 31st, 2008 at 4:26 am

Me, I got cubes of recently made turkey stock in my freezer. But I ain’t makin’ no muffins out of it…

Ha!
Hmmm- not savory corn muffins with cheese?

posted February 1st, 2008 at 5:08 am

Okay, maybe…

posted February 1st, 2008 at 9:14 am

You’re a genius! I would kill for a fresh raspberry muffin right about now.

Our freezer is stocked with skirt steaks and chicken soup.

posted February 2nd, 2008 at 9:40 pm

You are so right! Those blackberries in my freezer would be great in some muffins!

posted February 3rd, 2008 at 12:42 pm

I, too, buy berries when they are abundant here, freeze what I can’t quickly use, and then, for some reason, resist using the treasures I have stored away.

Muffins sound wonderful and would surely brighten this gray winter day.

What am I waiting for?

- Lisa
posted February 4th, 2008 at 2:31 pm

Oh Jocelyn, I love your blog but why for pete’s sake would you use canola oil instead of butter for health reasons? Butter is glorius, flavorful, healthy stuff, especially butter made from grass-fed, pastured cows. Who knows where your canola oil is even from, much less what’s in it? Has it been contaminated with gm rapeseed? I totally agree with your other substitutions but not this one.
I must say thank you also for reminding me of my secret huckleberry stash–they make the best sorbet with clementines and prosecco…

Good points about GM contamination.

I’m in a point in my life where I don’t want hidden saturated fat. If I’m going to eat butter- I don’t want it lurking in a muffin- I want it melted on top of it where I can get a direct taste bud hit. My butter and saturated fat consumption is much more intentional these days.

- Sarah
posted February 11th, 2008 at 4:23 pm

What delicious looking muffins! I have pumpkin too that I need to use and muffins are the best choice.