Part II of On Coffee and Uselessness

Thanks for providing all the different coffee shop response scenarios, they really did help and will continue to help.
It turns out the shop experience of tossing a paper cup to make my drink in my cup was a fluke- a result of a holiday temporary employee who had a brain fart while mixing my drink.

I tested my likely places to get coffee and some less-likely ones too to see how likely the situation is. They all report that if a customer provides their own cup the coffee shop will make up the drink in their cup with a shop spoon that is washed after use.

So, how to help keep these extra cup slip ups to a minimum?

Next on my coffee to-do list. Get an 8 oz cup to replace the 16 oz one in my daily commute.

posted January 12th, 2008 at 10:21 am

[...] Part 2: On coffee and tips on reusing your coffee cup – McAuliflower | (Permalink) [...]

posted January 12th, 2008 at 1:31 pm

I read the other entry and I find this very odd. My first ever job was back in 1998 working at a Tim Hortons in the mall. Plenty of people used their own mugs, and we had no problem filling them. As long as it came with a lid, of course. I’ve also used my travel mug in plenty of places. I had no idea it was a big deal to some cafes.

posted January 13th, 2008 at 11:48 pm

In 2005 I vowed to never use to-go cups again. So far, about 90% of the time I’m successful at this vow. I even get kind of neurotic about it at the cafes.

Yet, and yet, I can’t tell you how many times despite clearly requesting “for here” or having a nice conversation with my barista how I never use to go cups and that it’s the one and only thing they need to remember about me, they will autopilot and give me a paper cup anyway.

I think it comes from so many people just automatically ordering to go that the baristas autopilot and make them that way. If true, it’s a sad state of our paper cup filled land fills and inability to sit and enjoy a 5 min cup of coffee in a ceramic cup society.

I’m also pissed off about lack of 8oz sizes anymore in most places (especially the green and white chain). They act like you are a freak when you order 8oz. Geez, only in America.

Yes! yes, yes yes. I’ve been able to find 8 oz travel mugs on amazon, but have yet to find some in person. It’s only finally hit me that I don’t really want more than 8 oz in one serving. 12oz maybe, but no more. I’m trying to save my bigger travel mug for the afternoon tea.

Thanks for stopping by Cuisine Bonne Femme, good to hear from you.

- Cuisine Bonne Femme
posted January 17th, 2008 at 2:51 pm

Target sells 8oz travel mugs! At least they did around Christmas time.

- Cawfee lover
posted January 28th, 2008 at 2:50 pm

Hello from Australia! It seems the big green and white chain (also known as Worst. Coffee. Ever.) have set the standard for GIANT sized coffees.

I want a coffee. A small one. What’s wrong with this supersized notion?

McAuliflower- there’s a store here called Howards Storage World that had small thermal mugs (with lids.) I travel with the ceramic mug in my handbag, trundle to the coffee shop and back to work. So far, no spills. :)

Cheers,
Amy

- Amy
posted May 26th, 2009 at 2:50 am

Everten Online sell 8oz Bodum insulated travel mugs for about A$8 and accept Paypal. I bought two!

Cheers!

- Ozplanman
posted November 21st, 2009 at 2:17 pm

I’ve heard a lot of stories about people who are switching over to reusable mugs and forgoing the to-go cups. Most folks are finding it no big problem, yet when I stop at the local store to get coffee, I still notice a lot of disposable cups leaving the store and waiting in line. I think it is going to take awhile for people to get back in the habit of reusing things. We have grown too used to being able to dispose of our cups and plates and grocery bags.

- BillyO