New Years Resolutions

Wednesday, January 2, 2008

I mentioned to my coworker that I was resolving to eat something green everyday, and she declared that I was silly. Oh well, to each our own!

Additional goals for this year:
- learn to preserve the summer bounty of local produce so I can better use it in the winter.
- try to waste less food.
- continue to resist buying cookbooks.
- establish a routine for browsing magazines in the library.
- lessen my sugar intake.
- bring lunch to work at least once a week.

It’s all one step at a time- though it is kind of fun to run with it this time of year.

What are y’all up to?

posted January 2nd, 2008 at 6:14 pm

(1) Survive until 2009.

damn your flu / cold is that bad? :(
Or is this a reference to classes?

posted January 3rd, 2008 at 9:35 am

Last year my hobbies were food and movie critic. Neither of which were good for my waist/waste line. This year, I am buying a 1963 Rambler American 440 that needs restored. Perhaps it will help me avoid eating so much, but then again, the fun picnics that can be driven to in a Rambler… and the celebration of each step of its restoration… LOL

- Joe
posted January 3rd, 2008 at 6:58 pm

Wasting less food is at the top of my list. I am lucky enough to have access to really great, fresh food, much of it from local producers, but then life gets ahead of me and I don’t cook with it all as planned. I’m working on making two shopping trips a week this year and buying less during each one. We’ll see how that works out for me.

posted January 4th, 2008 at 3:27 pm

Wow I should really be copying your resolutions for myself! I definitely waste too much food and money and should start bringing lunch to work!

Happy New Year!

posted January 5th, 2008 at 8:20 pm

Oh yeah, one other resolution: recycle more. We spent the day cleaning out our garage (I feel so accomplished!) and set up a whole recycling center. It’s amazing to truly recycle everything we can I have to go to three different places in town in addition to our regular recycling pick up. I can’t include composting in my recycling because I have a totally black thumb, but I figure if I combine my waste less food resolution with recycle more they will work well together.

posted January 7th, 2008 at 12:28 pm

It’s not silly at all to eat something green every day. It’s a ritual with me to ask my husband, if I haven’t decided already, “So do you want salad or something else green?” I can’t imagine a dinner without something green.

I’m with you on the bringing lunch to work. I have a plan – I have a big blue piggy bank that I’ve been tossing excess change and bills in, and every time I bring my lunch to work instead of going out, I’m going to stick a $5 bill in there. Breakfast I already bring from home, but I’m a Starbuck’s snob, so I’m going to slow down the Starbuck’s. I’ll stick $2 in the bank every time I bring coffee in my Starbuck’s mug instead of buy it.

posted January 8th, 2008 at 5:38 pm

You are silly, I have a memo signed by one of your professors in college that says so. I’m guessing you might be eating a lot of frogs this year. Poor Kermit.

Hmmm- did I resolve to eat new-to-me meats this year?

- Jeromy
posted January 10th, 2008 at 6:41 pm

There are some lollipops that are green…;-) I am with you on the bring lunch to work though, I am notorious for “forgetting”. Or being lazy. Good reminders to stay motivated!

posted January 12th, 2008 at 3:29 pm

I eat a salad several times a week but I want to incorporate more greens. So I’m all with you for that one as well as the reducing sugar. That stuff is in everything!! Wishing you good luck from Corvallis.

posted January 24th, 2008 at 10:24 am

That’s a really great list! Mine was so lame in comparison! (I only had one resolution…to stop talking about…well, I cant say, I stopped talking about it…LOL)