This sweetener is very suitable for your Thanksgiving table. Even if you aren’t actively pursuing healthier actions, you can sneak it in. Agave nectar doesn’t taste funny, is a nice sweetness, and comes in syrups of varying degrees of darkness.

Using agave nectar as your primary sweetener, rather than sugar, will be easier on your body’s glycemic load- causing less of a shock to your blood sugar. Eating a diet that is conscious of utilizing low-glycemic foods has been shown to be extremely effective in preventing and eliminating type two diabetes.

This sleuthing was in response to a friend’s request for a diabetic friendly pumpkin pie recipe. While she was originally searching for no-sugar recipes, I propose that low-glycemic may be an easier concept for all of us to live with, with equal health success.

Wondering how to substitute agave nectar for sugar?

How do you use agave nectar in Thanksgiving dishes?

posted November 20th, 2007 at 3:49 pm

Even though I’d been trying to eat the low-glycemic way for several years, I really only started using Agave nectar regularly about a year ago. I love it, and it has opened up so many options for me. Great recommendation for your friend, and thanks for mentioning my post about low-glycemic Thanksgiving recipe.

I look forward to seeing what your Agave creativity brings us Kalyn.

posted November 20th, 2007 at 4:34 pm

Beware that “low glycemic” often means the sugar is fructose (as is the case with agave nectar), and that fructose has to make an extra round trip through your liver to be usable, in the process generating gobs of low density lipoproteins.

So it may be better for your diabetes (debatable), but it’ll play hell with your LDL cholesterol levels.

posted November 20th, 2007 at 5:37 pm

Can I just drink tequila instead?

- steve
posted November 21st, 2007 at 10:16 pm

I love agave nectar (except when I spill it in my unlined porous wood cabinets) and am glad you posted about it. Happy Thanksgiving over there!

posted November 25th, 2007 at 7:06 am

I was living in Sicily when I first found out about Agave Nectar and wasn’t able to find it there. I just moved back to the states and purchased some the other day. I think it tastes great over plain yogurt but that’s the only thing I’ve tried so far! I’ve recently been reading some mixed reviews about how healthy it is (some of the same things that Dan pointed out). But I’m sure it will have it’s place in my kitchen!

posted November 16th, 2011 at 7:50 am

[...] pecan pie! This year, instead of using corn syrup though, I am going to try a new recipe using dark agave nectar. While not as sticky sweet as corn syrup, agave nectar has a low- glycemic index that won’t [...]