My recent adventures with dulce de leche have convinced me this is what everyone is getting for Christmas!
I’ve seen people raving about the flavors before, but I never understood till kitchen curiosity made me stick a couple of unopened cans of sweetened condensed milk, submerged under water, in my pressure cooker for 2 hours.
The resulting concoction is pure bliss. Thick sweet caramel full of fruity tropical flavors (pineapple, I swear!). It’s a rounder more complex flavor than your standard caramel. The longer you cook the sweetened condensed milk the darker the dulce de leche will be. I took a can to three hours in the pressure cooker and now have a sample that is full of coffee-like bittersweet roasted sweet flavors.
The sandwiched Alfajores a la Adam cookies at Matt Bites inspired me to spread my dulce de leche on chocolate shortbread, which I then topped with a sprinkle of chunky crunchy hawaiian salt.
What else can you do with this sweet stuff? I’ve been using my dulce de leche in place of sugar in several dessert recipes:
- to sweeten whipped cream
- in cream cheese frosting
- in a homemade pudding recipe
- whisked into hot milk for a special hot dulce de leche drink (perfect with a splash of rum)
Admittedly, lingering on a mouth loved spoon is my most frequent dulce de leche use so far.
More Dulce de Leche Ideas
- Brownie Points Blog, Dulce de Leche Shortbread: Dipping the tip of my spoon into the thickened surface yielded a milky sweet concoction that hearkens to the primeval yearning of all mammals. Yes, this cues up my limbic system
- Cream Puffs in Venice, Mascarpone Cheesecake with Candied Pecans and Dulce de Leche Sauce: we sing the praises of dairy. We sing the praises of mascarpone. We sing the praises of Mascarpone Cheesecake with Candied Pecans and Dulce de Leche Sauce
- Seattle Bon Vivant, Dulce De Leche Flapjacks: After the flapjacks were ready he topped his with dulce while I rolled mine. They were both quite delicious
- the scent of green bananas, dulce de leche and white chocolate cheesecake: the cheesecake filling melts on your tongue in a flash, and disappears down your throat like a magic elixir
- foodie nyc, Dulce de Frozen Grapes: frozen grapes covered liberally with Dulche de Leche from Argentina. The sweet, rich creaminess works perfectly with the frozen grape
- Tartelette, Dulce de Leche Brioche Rolls: thinking pecan sticky buns, or cinnamon rolls but then again I wanted creamy and caramel so I filled them with cream cheese and homemade dulce de leche, parked them in the fridge overnight and baked them on sunday morning