Making Homemade Bread Whole Grain

Monday, October 29, 2007

Grainy No Knead BreadI’m glad I was able to inspire some of you into wanting to make bread. Now that I’ve reacquainted myself with the bread recipe, I’ve been tweaking it a bit by tossing more into it.

I substituted a fraction of the flour (30 g) for whole wheat flour. I also cast an eye about my pantry as to what more I can add. Here’s what made it into my bread this week:

I’m going to try finding different flours besides whole wheat to add. Also, in the immediate plans, finding out what adding whole brown rice will do.

Looking over the list of products at Bob’s Red Mill is very exciting. That’s a lot of variety and bread experimentation possibilities!

What are your favorite grains to toss in?

posted October 30th, 2007 at 6:02 am

Bob’s Red Mill is the best! The Best! So many inspiring products.

posted October 30th, 2007 at 6:10 am

When I next visit the US, I’ll be lugging home bags of white whole wheat flour, amaranth flour and what not home. I haven’t been very experimental and only tried baking bread with 100% whole wheat flour, with the occasional nuts and raisins.

posted October 30th, 2007 at 6:13 am

I like to add whole wheatberries to my bread — the texture and flavor is great!

- abby
posted October 30th, 2007 at 4:51 pm

I have never eaten this, but I have been reading recently that spelt is tasty. Anyone tried?

- JEP
posted October 31st, 2007 at 6:33 am

Sunnyland’s organic bulgur (found in Whole Foods and the like bulk bins is perfect for whole grain breads.

- Mike
posted October 31st, 2007 at 10:46 am

I’m enjoying these suggestions. It’s a great excuse to get different grains in the house!

posted October 31st, 2007 at 1:57 pm

So I totally failed the bread mission. I suck. But in terms of grains that I love in my bread, I do enjoy sunflower seeds, as well as dried cranberries (no raisins though)!

I love the thought of cranberries in this bread!
You can always hit reset and aim to make a loaf before thanksgiving. :)

posted November 5th, 2007 at 9:01 am

We have dabbled with bread – usually in the winter, and it ain’t good, unless driving nails with a load of bread is a goal. The more nuts and seeds the better, I sez.

- Shawn
posted November 5th, 2007 at 2:31 pm

So when are you adding your extras? Right before it goes in the oven? I’m thinking of adding pine nuts and/or goat cheese. Do you think cheese is a bad idea?

Hi Flood,
I’ve been adding the extras in the very beginning. With things like nuts and grains, the extra time in a wet dough will help them soften. I’ve added cheese at that point also. However, you can also add cheese after the first rise, or whenever you want.

More on cheese- I’ve only used hard cheeses. Maybe if adding a soft cheese- wait till later in the process? Another idea could be to shape this dough more like a focaccia -in a flat rectangular shape that is dimpled on top to accommodate toppings, and add your goodies to it on top.

Hope all that didn’t confuse your question!

posted November 5th, 2007 at 6:59 pm

I really love triticale in bread, and they sell the berries and flour at Bob’s Red Mill. Triticale is a cross between rye and wheat that has higher protein than either of them. The grain adds a nice sour edge that is not as intense as the sourness of rye.

posted November 7th, 2007 at 11:18 pm

[...] This bread looks so delicous filled with all kinds of goodies:Making Homemade Bread Whole Grain [...]

posted November 13th, 2007 at 6:08 pm

This looks delicious!

posted May 28th, 2009 at 10:43 am

When you add additional items, do you add them on top of the 3 cups of flour, or do you substitute some of the flour for the additional grains/seeds? Also, do you cook the grains first (bulgur, for example)?

Thanks!

I add the additional items on top of the flour. And I don’t cook the grains first.

- Medbh