My Figs Are Flavorless Bastards

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

flavorless tease of a figSigh, I don’t think there’s really anything more to add to that title.

Has anyone else encountered this? I picked them when they were very soft to the touch- in fact some were splitting, so I don’t think ripeness was an issue. And yet, they have not one once of sweetness! And they’re insides are white (not pink).

Do I have a poser fig tree in my back yard?

And I so wanted to make my own fig newtons too.

Update
Thanks everyone for the fig feedback. Glad I’m not alone in this disappointment. Hopefully we have other outstanding fall flavors to distract us.

posted October 23rd, 2007 at 9:15 pm

Mine are flavorless, too. This is the second year for our Brown Turkey and Desert King trees. They produced quite a few this year, but none tasted sweet. Serious bummer. I wanted to make jam.

posted October 24th, 2007 at 10:02 am

Maybe it didn’t get hot enough this summer? Seems like this happened with a lot of veggies and fruits this summer. Too bad though, I love figs.

- Jen
posted October 24th, 2007 at 12:17 pm

Lol! Your title made me laugh out loud…literally. Sorry you had bad figs!

posted October 24th, 2007 at 3:22 pm

We never really had summer in Portland this year – no heat and too much rain. Everything was tasteless, including tomatoes. If we have a regular hot, dry summer next year your figs should be sweet and pink.

- Carolyn
posted October 24th, 2007 at 5:44 pm

Your title made me laugh so hard I fell off my chair onto the ground. So my husband thinks I’m more crazy than usual. Love your blog and here’s hoping the figs will be better next year.

- Dixie
posted October 24th, 2007 at 11:20 pm

I just wrote about figs on my site–sometimes they split open from rain, not from ripeness.

- Tea
posted October 25th, 2007 at 4:54 am

Yes! I was so disappointed when I picked up a container of fresh figs from Whole Foods and they were horrible. I had never had fresh ones before and I was so excited to try them. After one bite I decided that the food world is way too generous to the fig…thanks for your post, now I see it wasn’t figs in general…it must just be a bad year.

posted November 4th, 2007 at 6:46 pm

Two things, not enough warmth for them to ripen fully, and I would guess you had heavier rain, which caused the fruit to split.

yeah. It’s a bummer. I’m wondering if the unripe fruits have any good uses. Maybe they can be a yeast source for making a sourdough starter? Maybe I can rub them on my face as a fall/winter fruit wash? Makes me wonder what is the difference besides sugar content between a ripe and unripe fig?

posted November 7th, 2007 at 7:45 pm

I agree with you, they are tasteless! I haven’t had a good fig since my last visit to Italy!

posted November 12th, 2007 at 12:58 am

I often say fig trees are like camels. they need little to no watering outside what mother nature does. but they do need sun and heat.

figs trees have 3 pregnancies. and usually the third round produces the most concentrated fruit because the tree has the least amount of water in the bank.

what to do with them? make a poaching syrup and poach them with some dried figs to make a nice compote…