Homemade Bread Challenge: Just Do It

Saturday, October 20, 2007

Why is it, that it takes cold blustery weather to shake my attentions to making bread again? It’s not like I don’t appreciate great bread all the other weather flavors of the year.

While I love a slice of toast with my over easy breakfast year round, there is nothing like the shock of homemade soup to plunge our words into disrepair with the demand for broth dunking bread.

I propose a simple challenge: make one loaf of bread in the next week. I’m not even going to get all controlling and demand that you be monogamous to your homemade bread and forgo purchased breads. I’m not even going to push you to make a loaf during your busy work. I leave those edifications to you in time. I think one loaf is a good way to start.

Will you join me?

Bread Making Links

posted October 22nd, 2007 at 9:53 am

Hey thanks for the encouragement and motivation. I’ve always wanted to make my own bread; it’s on my list of things to do – I just needed this sort of kick in the butt to actually do it! Hopefully I’ll follow through…

posted October 24th, 2007 at 11:57 am

Thanks this was the kick in the pants I needed. I really have been thinking it’s time to make it again now that the cool weather is upon us. I have been making soup like crazy and it just feels so empty without homemade bread. :)

I really enjoy your blog!

- Bear's Mommy
posted October 25th, 2007 at 6:17 am

Nothing quite like home made bread for breakfast…especially on an egg sandwich! This sourdough was slightly undercooked, but oh man is it good!

Thanks for sharing Nick! I know what I’m gonna have as my afternoon snack now.

- Nick
posted October 28th, 2007 at 3:13 pm

I’m all in! I was baking all our family’s bread for about a year, then got lazy. But there’s nothing like it. Nuh-uh-thing. Talk about the best air freshener in the whole wide world. And then when you’re done and that feeling when you look at those golden brown loaves…*sigh* Heaven.

posted November 7th, 2007 at 8:42 am

I’m in! I was going to make my standard variation of no knead bread today (the slight alterations from NotMartha) but maybe I’ll check out some of the other ideas in the website above. Oh, and we made English Muffins this week, and they were insanely easy and fabulous. I need to do some more recipe research, since mine turned out pretty thin, but the flavor was great and it was a very satisfying project: http://www.bobrow.net/kimberly/foodblog/index.php?/archives/5-English-Muffins.html

That looks so satisfying! I was just thinking of going through some tuna cans to use for such a project (to use as the rings that keep the muffins in place). I bet your kittens grown up now!

- Sara
posted November 7th, 2007 at 9:27 am

Done! I made herb focaccia bread (with photos), I’ll post the recipe shortly. :)

posted November 7th, 2007 at 9:48 am

Do dessert breads count? I finally got around to making pan de muerto. It was delicious and kept really well. And it’s so satisfying and cozy to snack on homemade bread on a wet, chilly morning.

That’s a wonderful seasonal submission. I was just reading about Frieda Kahlo’s sculptued ones- in the shape of skulls.

- Cam
posted November 7th, 2007 at 10:39 am

Good encouragement! I started exactly this way a number of years ago, and now breadmaking has become a cozy habit: twice a week, I knead up a batch and bake it off. It’s not hard, it can be inexpensive, it’s tremendously rewarding, and despite all that, people will coo in awe when they see you have baked bread.

Thanks Elsa.
I’m just now taking baby steps in a using a starter. I just picked a bit up from a local pizza place. First feeding was today! I’m still using commercial yeast though till the starter is ready.

- Elsa
posted November 7th, 2007 at 8:20 pm

Ok, so I too LOVE homemade bread, but with a newborn around, I just don’t have time to bake it (even the No Knead is a bit much), does it count if i go to an old fashioned bakery and purchase a good loaf of bread. I just love the smell of toast with old fashioned bread.

OHHHH- I think having a newborn is a good rainy day pass! Viva la Old Fashioned Bakeries!

- Tina