Voodoo Doughnut

Saturday, September 1, 2007

“It’s mostly a line of strange looking people with tattoos and piercings, waiting for their morning coffee. I never felt so old, so square and so out of it as I felt at Voodoo Doughnuts.”
- Jan Stern on the April 21st, 2007 Portland Oregon Splendid Table Podcast

Voodoo DoughnutSweets and I sat down at the outside table with our own bacon maple bars (yes, we’re not sharing). We were too overwhelmed by the choices and the highlighted doughnut case to pick anything more subtle, so the eponymous bacon bar won us over.

Just the simple act of sitting with this thing brought one person passing by to shake their head in disbelief.

It’s a fun doughnut, though rather a bit underwhelming for what it is. Yes, its just a maple bar with a piece of bacon slapped on it. If I were gonna go all out, I’d fill it with bacon studded cream and add bourbon too. But, that’s just my tendency to go over the top.

Next time I’m getting a Tang dusted one.

Voodoo Doughnut Website

posted September 1st, 2007 at 1:24 pm

I had the Tang donut there a couple weeks ago. IMO, too sweet and not orange-y enough. The tang is really just on top of the frosting – it needed to be totally mixed into the frosting or something.

- Tamara
posted September 3rd, 2007 at 11:48 am

You know, if you make that maple bourbon bacon cream donut, I will eat it. I may lapse into a sugar coma immediately afterwards, but I will eat it.

- Judah
posted September 4th, 2007 at 8:59 am

Yea, if I were to make a big deal out of a bacon bar, I’d incorporate the bacon more too. At that rate, why don’t they offer to put bacon on ANY doughnut?

posted September 6th, 2007 at 11:10 am

You may be made of stronger stuff than I, but … the Tang one was – well, my mouth is puckering up at the thought of it, two weeks later! They do layer a lot of sweet frosting underneath, but it’s still the Sour Patch Kid of doughnuts. I couldn’t manage the whole thing, alas. I do love the ones with cereal on the top, though.

posted September 8th, 2007 at 9:10 am

No surprise here with your choice of flavor combinations. You always have liked your bacon dripping with maple syrup! ;)

- MoM
posted September 28th, 2007 at 6:25 pm

i would love to indulge your bourbon-bacon-maple deliciousness! mmmmmmmmm.

- Amanda
posted July 4th, 2008 at 12:44 pm

I suggest the Butter Fingering (Devilfood and crushed Butterfinger)its fantastic & the Apple Fritter which is as big as your head! the apple glaze is out of this world!!!

Every time we are in Portland we make a bee line to Voodoo for our sugar rush!

- mj