I’m a Whisk Luddite

Friday, July 13, 2007

This whisk is too small...Accumulated time and post-move energy have finally motivated me to replace my long lost broken whisk. I had bought one of those new fangled ones that is flat and metal coated with silicon only to have the silicon coating wear off the whisk tines and flap loose after a year.

Stopping in on the local kitchen supply store revealed a wall full of whisks, yea! I reached past all the alien life forms for a large all metal balloon whisk, just the size I wanted. $30! What the heck? The whisk’s handle revealed a partnership with NASA to include a thermometer readout. It almost suckered me… almost. Then I realized I don’t whisk anything that crucially needs a temperature readout at the same time. Beside, if I’m going to make a zabaglione, my clip on digital thermometer has worked fine.

Grrr… just give me a whisk! In that whole wall of whisks they didn’t have a simple medium-large metal balloon whisk.

My whisk money ransom note:
No plastic coating, no more than $20 (heck, I’d love to say no more than $15, but maybe I’m seeing a new economy in this city), no balls, no pookey parts, no abstract art to clean. Just give me the good old fashioned whisk that has worked through the kitchen ages.

Please?

posted July 13th, 2007 at 11:05 am

OXO 11″ whisk. I just replaced my first one after I had it for seven years. Good comfy handle. $8.

Excellent -thanks. Thinking back on it Kitchen Kaboodle didn’t have any oxo’s on the wall. I imagine if I walk into a different store I will more easily find plain whisks. It was just so surprising for a “Kitchen” store. yesh.

posted July 13th, 2007 at 12:51 pm

There’s always the IKEA ‘IDEALISK’. It’s a two whisk set for only $.99.

Let’s see… their Portland location opens around the end of the month too. Dang, another thing to add to the IKEA list.
thanks!

- k2
posted July 13th, 2007 at 12:51 pm

Oh, IKEA also has other, higher quality whisks, too. I think the most expensive one is about $5.00

- k2
posted July 14th, 2007 at 3:34 am

I third IKEA. Also, thrift stores and garage sales.

- Kim
posted July 14th, 2007 at 7:53 am

I also find good kitchen stuff sometimes at TJ Maxx and even Big Lots. (I can be a bit of a cheapskate about certain things, while being *very* extravagant about others!

posted July 16th, 2007 at 9:51 pm

have you tried rose’s equipment on se clay? restaurant supplier but they are open to the public. look under whips on their website: Rose’s equipment.

enjoying your blog a ton! i stumbled across you just after moving to eugene and then moved back to portland just about the same time you did – weird! :)

keep on keepin’ on!

thanks for the lead Erin! Fun that we’re swimming in the same river like that.
cheers

- erin
posted July 16th, 2007 at 9:55 pm

oops, should be rosesequipment.com. and a search for piano whips gives you better selection….

- erin
posted July 25th, 2007 at 12:31 pm

Just be sure and have it be “stainless steel”! My favorite little whisk leaves little rusty bits in my nice creamy pale yellow stirred custard…could pass for vanilla bean seeds ;)

One of my old whisks did just that!

Vanilla specks, bits of nutmeg, black pepper… fortunately we’re covered!

- MoM
posted August 18th, 2007 at 2:22 am

Another vote for OXO. Their whisks are great. Get a small one too while you’re at it, very handy!
About once a month Fred Meyer has a “Buy two get one free” special on ALL kitchen gadgets. Twice a year they have a “Buy ONE get one free” special. Great time to stock up.
Bed Bath and Beyond and LNT both have excellent selections of OXO, if you’re on their mailing list you can use one of your 20% off coupons on each item you buy. Including expired coupons. Plus they take ALL competitor coupons and price-match sale ads on identical items.

- Terriann