How do I say good bye to my work place? By resurrecting a pre-blog culinary April Fool’s joke: kitty litter cake!
As I made this latest batch I couldn’t help but wonder if I was putting lipstick on a pig… or strike that and reverse: smearing mud on a Mona Lisa?
For my version to be successful, its the top that matters. This is simply crumbled spice cake and hand rolled tootsie rolls that tops off a triffle-like creation. Of course the use of a new kitty litter pan and scoop are required to make this truly successful.
How to make a kitty litter cake
- new kitty litter pan
- new kitty litter scoop
- 1-2 packs of large tootsie rolls
- 1 box of spice cake mix
- 2 boxes of white cake mix
- 2 cans of pineapple tidbits
- 2 boxes of cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 pint of whipped cream
- Mix up the two boxes of white cake mix according to the box instructions. Combine the batters and pour out onto a half pan baking sheet. Cook till inserted toothpick removes with 1-2 crumbs attached. Set aside to cool.
- Bake one box of spice cake mix according to the box directions. Set aside to cool.
- Whip up one pint of whipped cream to stiffness with several tablespoons of sugar or maple syrup. Set aside.
- Whip up the two containers of cream cheese to soften. Fold in the whipped cream.
- Into the new kitty litter pan, crumble the white cake mix.
- Drizzle over the top of the crumbled white cake the juice from the pineapple.
- Sprinkle the pineapple tidbits over the juiced cake.
- Next spread on the whipped cream and cream cheese mixture.
- Cover the top of the assembled cake mixture with the spice cake crumbled up to look loose.
- Remove the tootsie rolls from their wrapper and microwave for 10 seconds. Let the tootsie rolls cool briefly and roll into logs in your hands. Take this opportunity to get creative and create linked logs, tapper ends, etc. (oh gawd, I actually typed that.) While you may have bought more than one package of tootsie rolls, you may find yourself unable to mold the second package after this first experience. Simply save the remaining tootsie rolls to freshen up the cake later on in the day. Scatter the molded tootsie rolls across the top of the crumbled spice cake. Partially bury some of them as well.
Those who dare to dig in will be rewarded… though you may have to take the first scoop.