Everpopular Envirosax -Too Girly?

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Everpopular Envirosax I wish I had seen all the available patterns of Envirosax before I had purchased my Flora Collection. But that’s beside my point for this post.

While these bags are very handy: compact, easy to fold up, hold a large volume of groceries, fit over the shoulder and don’t drag on the ground when straight armed… they have one fatal flaw I want my blog readers to consider:

They seem to be boy repellent.

I love these bags, and am attracted to using them more than the dullsville canvas options I’ve previously tried (they never seem to have their handles in the right places). I can’t help but grit my teeth over having bought such a sexist gendered item that I had mentally envisioned as an all gender loving household item. Upon purchase, my mind had completely failed to consider the pouffiness of the bags themselves- a detail that is quite glaring now.

Oh well. I will take my brash bold patterns and colors in hand. No question with these bags who brings home the bacon.

posted June 19th, 2007 at 10:58 pm

Come on, the retrographic line isn’t so girly. Besides, it ain’t the bag that makes the man, if you know what i mean…

- Leslie
posted June 19th, 2007 at 11:10 pm

Well sexist wasn’t the first thought which came into my mind when designing these bags! – In fact my husband stuffs his sopping wet wetsuit into an RG.B1 each morning after his early morning surf (they are waterproof after all!)

The Monochromatic range was also designed with unisex in mind.

I’d love to send you an image of Tony, our model for Monochromatic – now there is No Way this guy is lacking in testosterone!

Please do- I can’t find any male imagery on the US version of your site.

posted June 20th, 2007 at 4:57 am

That’s funny you mention that, I was thinking how gender neutral they were. Most of them are just graphic or nature prints. Even the “flora” line is no more girly than a Hawaiian shirt.

posted June 20th, 2007 at 5:17 am

My husband uses them!

posted June 20th, 2007 at 8:19 am

Thanks for the comments everyone.

I’m getting a kick out of the offers of photographic evidence that men use Envirosax.

My description of the saxs of being a “sexist item” may be reading a bit strong. I mean the word sexist as aligned with one sex. Aka gendered.

Don’t get me wrong- I do love these bags. It’s just that my community of men really are a no pattern (or at least subtle pattern), monochromatic, backpack / messenger bag sort of lot. These bags seem to trigger a spot of purse similarity, especially enhanced by my choice of the Flora line.

Links to pictures- are welcome.

posted June 20th, 2007 at 8:51 am

For perspective, it took McAuliflower nine years to get me into an Aloha shirt. It’s not that I consider them feminine. That is just not the way I see myself. Part of it may be that McAuliflower is incredibly feminine, and she looks good carrying these bags. She makes them look more feminine by her nature.

posted June 20th, 2007 at 6:03 pm

Though she didn’t ask me, I fit into the same demographic (and social circle, and sometimes house) as the other guys McA is referring to.

The Monochromatic series is as unappealing to me (to carry) as the floral prints. A couple of the Retro series look okay, but they certainly aren’t things I’d seek out.

In solid colors, especially with some form of logo or text, I’d love to carry them for short jaunts. As it is, I’ll keep using my backpack and risk the occasional exploding yogurt.

- Dave
posted July 23rd, 2007 at 2:33 pm

I live in Hawaii and sell these bags. So, as a retailer I have a unique perspective of who is buying and using these. I sell most to woman…however, men that are evolved enough to understand what these are doing for the environment and cultures loves them, buy them and are using them. One came back telling me he gave his to a date…he got because he had one!!!! Enough said.