How do you store your glassware?

Friday, June 8, 2007

storing glasswareI prodded the great folks at Apartment Therapy to post a poll in their kitchen section.

Do you store your glassware bottoms up?

Just one of those things I’ve always wondered about. I was raised with ‘right side up’ yet curious when friends’ kitchens had their glasses upside down.

The comment field is bringing up some interesting options and one discussion on trapping off-flavors in the glasses stored bottoms up.

Poll results in the post at Apartment Therapy.

posted June 8th, 2007 at 9:44 am

I have open shelving in my kitchen, so the bottom-up method keeps dust out of the inside of the glasses. Even so, I have to wash the outsides before I use them.

posted June 10th, 2007 at 1:28 pm

In my glass cabinet, bottoms up. In my everyday dishes… rim up. Go figure I can’t. Maybe it’s because the kids put away the everyday dishes that way…

posted June 11th, 2007 at 6:36 pm

I put them open end up, but I have them in cupboards with doors. When I lived in an apartment I put down clean shelf paper and stored them upside down. That kept any bugs out. The apartment building was a little scarry.

-CVS

- Ceri
posted June 14th, 2007 at 9:09 am

I do open end up, but also have cabinets with doors and little dust in the house around here, regardless. My MIL keeps putting them open end down, but then I have to make sure the cabinet base is really clean – nothing like getting dust or spills on the rim of a glass, is there?

posted June 14th, 2007 at 1:06 pm

If you store glasses bottom up, you run the risk of bacteria growing in them, if there is any dampness at all. The rim touching the shelf creates a closed environment perfect for germs to grow. Plus, the rim where you put your lips.

- chocolatetiara
posted June 14th, 2007 at 8:25 pm

I really had to give this some thought! I store my glasses bottom up. (I do have shelf liner down that is a rubbery open-weave design, so I’m not worried about trapping air or bacterial growth–not that either of those have ever crossed my mind…) The reason I do it is because the rim of my glasses are a larger diameter than the bottoms and when I put the bottom down first I sometimes set the glasses too close together and then the rims knock together. If I put the rims down first they are perfectly spaced–no knocking, no chips!

- Denise
posted June 19th, 2007 at 11:05 pm

How funny that you mentioned this, because I’m a house-sitter, and it bugs me when their glasses aren’t bottoms up. You don’t realize how particular you are in things until you live in someone else’s environment. Like how can some people stand to not have paper towels, or SOS pads? I don’t get it. And toilet paper needs to be rolled over the top, not under ;)

- Barb