Homemade Spiced Ketchup

Thursday, April 19, 2007

I cringe to think of the first time I made ketchup.

It burped and spew like hot lava as I cooked it, sputtering out to paint the walls and even bless the ceiling. This culinary Jackson Pollack moment also marked my discovery and purchase of a splatter guard.

Homemade Ketchup with EggsWhy should you make your own ketchup?

Spicy homemade ketchup delivers a great breakfast spread on a crisp rye cracker with hard boiled eggs, green onion and chili salt.

Homemade Spiced Ketchup

inspired by epicurious’ no frills ketchup recipe
In a large pot drizzled with cooking oil saute:

Cook till the onion pieces just start to color. Add to the cooked onion:

With the lid off, cover with a splatter guard and simmer for about an hour until the sauce is thickened and not watery looking. Stir occasionally, esp more so as you approach the end of your cooking time.

If the ketchup starts to scorch on the bottom, scrape it up with a wooden spoon and stir into the cooking ketchup. These scorched bits, in moderation, will make your ketchup taste even better, so don’t worry.

When thick, turn off the heat and allow to cool. Pour the cooled sauce into a blender and whirl smooth. Pour into jars and refrigerate.

Makes 2 – 2 1/2 cups

More Homemade Kitchen Staples from Food Bloggers

posted April 19th, 2007 at 5:03 pm

I’ve made ketchup a few times in the past couple years but always from the tomatoes I grow in my garden. I’ll have to give this one a try now and see if I can adapt it when the summer garden produces…

posted April 19th, 2007 at 6:34 pm

How nice to include berbere in your ketchup recipe. I will definitely have to try this; I have no willpower when it comes to spicy condiments!

posted April 19th, 2007 at 6:50 pm

“Perverse ingredient control; you can make it so spicy it will make little kids around you cry….”

LOVE IT.

- oregoncoastgirl
posted April 20th, 2007 at 6:26 am

That sounds like my BBQ sauce recipe, albeit somewhat sweeter and I add mace to mine.

The similarity to bbq may explain why I like it so much. Also explains how I can taste it through my current cold of dead taste buds ;)

posted April 20th, 2007 at 12:37 pm

I love the Jackson Pollock comparison!

I bet the fire-roasted tomatoes help make this ketchup too – I just love the unique taste of them. Admittedly they are a a sort of novelty item in my kitchen these days.

posted April 21st, 2007 at 5:02 pm

I love this line, as I’m pretty sure I’ve used it before as it’s particularily apt to vegetarian cooking:
“These scorched bits, in moderation, will make your ketchup taste even better, so don’t worry.”
so true!

posted May 3rd, 2007 at 9:52 am

I made this yesterday as a surprise for my fiance, and he loved it! He loves ketchup, alot, so I thought this would be a neat think to cook up. I second the splatter screen, my kitchen looked like the set of a horror movie before I put that thing on! Thanks for the recipe!! ^_^

What a great thing to make for a ketchup lover!

Did you get to make a fun label too? I admit I still haven’t gotten to that part. :)