Smoked Paprika Corn Dumplings

Wednesday, March 7, 2007

My recent adventures in dumplings have shown how accommodating dumpling batter can be to all sorts of changes. Not only can one add pureed vegetables to the batter, ground up stale ancient corn tortilla chips also find themselves to be quite at home in these pillowy balls. The chips I used in these must have been at least 3 months old!

the dumplings shine with a delicate, slightly sweet corn flavor, and a small bright green note from the cilantro

They taste very much like steamed hushpuppies, those deep fried crunchy balls that accompany fried and Cajun food so well.

Dropping this batter onto your favorite pot of chili is a complete and wondrous delight.

Smoked Paprika Corn Dumplings

Smoked Paprika Corn Dumplings with ChiliIn a food processor, combine:

process thoroughly to combine.
Add:

Drizzle in while the processor is running:

Bring your pot of chili to just below a simmer and drop in tablespoons of the dumpling batter. I find that a small ice cream scoop works very well for portioning dumplings.

This may take one to two batches of cooking, depending on how much chili you have to comfortably fit the dumplings in. I cook for two and therefore have a smaller pot of soup. So I break this up into two batches of dumplings- the second one cooked for leftovers.

Put a lid on the soup and turn the soup down to your lowest setting and cook for 13-15 minutes, till a tested dumpling reveals itself to be light and cooked in the center.

This recipe makes 18 – 20 tablespoon sized dumplings.

One Year Ago:

Arggg, Chocolate Booty
ambrosia chocolate
…Over all the chocolates we sampled from Pix shared an amazing set of texture combinations I rarely find in chocolates. They all predominantly exhibited the characteristics of being coated in snappy bittersweet chocolate that yielded a dripping soft center. The fluid center makes these better suited to pop all at once in your mouth rather than bite in half to share, as I found out the messy way.

posted March 8th, 2007 at 3:07 am

OK, this is proof that smoked paprika makes anything taste great, even old corn chips! I love the flavor of smoked paprika and use it in everything from stew to scrambled eggs.

Oh yeah! And with freshly ground cumin on pita chips, or over hummus… heaven.

I just spied some pitch black smoked salt the other day. I think i need to bring home a friend for my paprika to play with!

posted March 8th, 2007 at 4:12 pm

This looks like a fantastic new way for me to fiddle with my paprika. I love the idea of having dumplings with chili.

posted March 8th, 2007 at 7:09 pm

McAuliflower, Rachel and I have been on a real smoked paprika kick over the past few months. We love it in so many things: shepherd’s pie, butternut squash and apple soup, and now dumplings. It is such a beautiful, distinct flavour. By the way, you are a leftover tortilla superstar.

- rob
posted March 13th, 2007 at 11:55 am

wow what an innovative recipe. looks so hearty. i could use a nice warm, heavy something like this today!

posted March 13th, 2007 at 11:55 am

p.s. i adore this photograph!

posted March 13th, 2007 at 7:18 pm

That photograph is absolutely gorgeous….the recipe too.

posted March 20th, 2007 at 3:21 pm

I ran across your site today. Your recipes look really good but the way you list the ingredients I find very confusing compared to most recipe sites. Thanks, Pamela Beach

Thanks for the comment Pamela.
I don’t understand what’s confusing. If you have the time, I’d love more information on what you mean.

- Pamela Beach
posted November 20th, 2007 at 3:10 pm

I thing what Ms.
Beach was referring to is the fact that normally the quantity is listed before the ingredient ie 1 cup flour, instead of flour, 1 cup.

Mmm that’s too bad.
I do it in that format when possible as I want to know what I’m measuring before I measure it. Also, listing the quantity last sets the format of the recipe up for expanding and contracting its quantities easier.

- Sheryl
posted June 30th, 2009 at 7:26 am

I am a passionate cookbook reader and recipe collector. In the many thousands of recipes I have looked at, I have never seen such an awkward recipe to read.

Why don’t you just admit that it’s because you’re using some kind of low tech database and computer programming to handle increasing/decreasing the number of servings? It would not take much to convert from however you store the data to something usable – there are millions of recipes on the Internet that are instantly adjustable and they are in the standard format. Your lame explanation that you like to know what you’re measuring before you find out how much is just a defensive rationalization – an excuse, not a reason.

- Troutbend
posted March 17th, 2012 at 9:32 am

[...] Smoked Spanish Paprika La Tienda smoked paprika Smoked paprika corn dumplings from Brownie Points blog Pan-seared Ribeye Steak with Smoked Paprika from Gluten-free by the Bay [...]