Homemade Marshmallow Tasting KitI allowed my marshmallow obsession to run with my imagination after the success of the peppermint swirls.

Using my Japan souvenirs, I whipped up a batch of homemade black sesame swirl marshmallows and a layered set of green tea with azuki bean.

Homemade Black Sesame MarshmallowsCombined with the peppermints and the lemon-ginger, I have assembled a tasting kit of fun marshmallow flavors for my family and work place. While quite unexpected (I still have coworkers who can’t grasp the idea of homemade marshmallows), its a delightful way to share my fun in the kitchen. Mini tasting kits of just one cube per flavor would charmingly offer these sweets as treasured kitchen gems.

These last two sets of flavors gave me some good experience on working in some alternative flavor types into a basic marshmallow recipe. I hope to write up a review of how to flavor marshmallows after the holiday weekend.

posted December 24th, 2006 at 10:30 am

This is such a cute idea.

posted December 24th, 2006 at 4:45 pm

And thee were dubbed “The Marshmallow Extraordinaire” – I can’t wait to see your write up!

- Joe
posted December 25th, 2006 at 1:03 am

Wow! Those are some beautiful marshmallows. I want a giant poster size blowup of that photo.

Sorry about the missed phone call. My crazy infusion attempt was a failure — I’ll debrief with you later. But I had to publicly credit you with inspiring some mad-scientist-type kitchen behavior.

- Dave
posted December 25th, 2006 at 7:16 am

Beautiful! I’ve been following your blog for a while and am quite enamored of your marshmallow recipe :) My first attempt was with crushed candy canes subbing for 1/3 of the sugar (yucky…but made a nice pink). My second attempt was far more successful! Vanilla bean marshmallows poured over grated and chopped 70% cacao chocolate. I have pictures if you’d like :D You’re completely right in that the recipe makes a ton of marshmallows though. I’m thinking my creation with the chocolate should be used in making “lazy s’mores”. Right now they’re being gobbled up by anyone who chances by my house. Thank you for the great recipe! I’ll definitely have to try your new flavor ideas. I’m pondering a turmeric marshmallow, actually…with maybe some toasted coconut on top.

- Elena
posted December 26th, 2006 at 4:51 pm

Hi,
I love that you’re obsessed with marshmallows. I get on jags, myself – right now it is pralines and penuche, as well as gingersnaps and gingerbread cake (The Gramercy Tavern oatmeal stout g-bread was a huge hit yesterday, topped with a warm dark caramel from Fran’s in Seattle – don’t get me started…)

But your marshmallows make me want to whip up these homemade graham crackers: http://bakingsheet.blogspot.com/2005/04/shf-7-graham-crackers.html

These, sandwiching some peppermint or maybe coconut or coffee-flavored marshmallows, a nice square of Valrhona or Dagoba or something equally great and non-Hershey’s chocolate? Whaddya think? I’ll be in Eugene Thursday-Friday visiting my folks if you’d like to discuss this further (not that this hasn’t likely already crossed your mind…)

I made graham crackers once, years ago, from The Enchanted Broccoli or Moosewood cookbook, but they were sort of “crunchy” (not literally). I’d like to try again, with some cinnamon or ginger or nutmeg touches, perhaps.

Sorry to ramble.

posted December 27th, 2006 at 4:05 pm

What a great idea! I wish I was a part of your gift-giving list! =)

posted December 29th, 2006 at 9:45 pm

I came across your blog from researching what a double chocolate ganache on Google from our hotel room; thought you might like to know :) You have a wonderful site here. Take care!!

thanks for the note Toby! So- you’re making ganache on the road? That’s dedicated! :smile:

posted December 29th, 2006 at 10:52 pm

interested in hearing about the green tea versions. Mine did not end up to green tea-ey, but i did try some maraschino cherry flavored ones and they were great!

Wowza! Maraschino is a great idea sallie. I can vision it layered with a pistachio layer like spumoni, our poured on top of a batch of walnut studded fudge.

I added alot of matcha powder to the marshmallows as they whipped up. I think the final amount was 2 1/2 tsp for a half batch (2 gelatin packets) of marshmallows. I also added a couple drops of green food coloring- which worked wonderfully: didn’t change the tone of green just bumped it a notch.

Oddly enough though, these marshmallows almost taste… too much like green tea? Sometimes green tea can strike me as having a fishy or straw flavor in there.

Drats sallie- and I was going to take it easy on making more marshmallows…

- sallie
posted January 8th, 2007 at 10:55 pm

[...] My recent experimentation with black sesame paste marshmallows gave me the idea to add the chocolate at the end of mixing to minimize disruption of the marshmallow’s volume during whipping. [...]

posted November 18th, 2007 at 4:17 pm

Would love a recipe for matcha marshmallows if you have one. I also don’t like that sort of straw like flavor that matcha powder can give. Also, what flavor fruit flavor pairing could be added to the mathcha flavor that would pair well?

hi Cheryl
I recommend that you get comfortable with the basic vanilla marshmallow recipe, and add your matcha powder to the concoction as it whips. Add enough to tint the marshmallow light green, and then taste to see if that’s enough.

Regarding fruit flavor matches- I really like cantaloupe. I’d suggest you try more for yourself with a cup of tea. I don’t have that many fruits around me in season right now so the picking’s slim. Maybe try strawberries in the spring time… some lemon, tart apple?

Have fun hunting

- Cheryl
posted February 21st, 2008 at 12:09 pm

I want to thank you for the wonderful marshmallow recipe, I have made orange, lemon, vanilla, mint and orange craisin, they all turned out wonderful. I love making them and bringing them to all our family get togethers. I love to cook and bake, I have lost count of the number of times I have made the marshmallows.
THANKS!!
PS I always dip them in chocolate and then in nuts, sprinkles, coconut, etc.

- Sharon Schoenman
posted July 25th, 2008 at 11:56 am

i really need the recipe for the green tea marshmallows and the black sesame? cAN YOU GIVE THEM TO ME. Thanks, Carla

- carla mullins
posted November 4th, 2010 at 7:16 am

Oh! What beautiful pictures. I was just looking for someone who had tried green tea marshmallows. You mentioned in your post that you were planning on writing up how to add mix-ins to your basic marshmallow recipe. I checked out more of your blog, but couldn’t find any. I don’t suppose you’ve got it somewhere that I’m missing.

Thanks! I love your blog and am adding it to my expanding blogroll… :)

- Brie