Gifts for Foodies: Pretty Edible Dragees

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Dragee: Tantalizing silver balls perched atop cookies and cupcakes… for how many is this image burned in our teeth crunching childhood experience? Infuriating in that we weren’t suppose to eat them, yet they were so eye catching with that metallic glint. Chocolate company, the Cocoa Room is lending their creative sweets to solve that problem.

the Cocoa RoomThis square box holds a lustrous mix of chocolate covered everything- sunflower seeds, pistachios, almonds, apricots, blueberries… these chocolates give one the rare opportunity to color coordinate their candies! One can choose by color shades or by high lighted flavors. Pictured is the Eclectic Mix Dragee, which contains pale yellow lustered coated almonds, and an abundance of white coated sunflower seeds.

Currently available in Eugene at Letterhead, 25 E. Eighth Ave. Downtown.

The Cocoa Room- Cool Chocolate. No drama.

posted December 19th, 2006 at 12:27 pm

I always wanted to know what those little edible silver things on cookies and cakes were.

Amazing what you can learn through blogs…

posted December 21st, 2006 at 5:35 am

…who doesn’t like to eat Jordan Almonds? Those things are awesome!

- threemilechild
posted December 22nd, 2006 at 6:05 am

You aren’t supposed to eat dragees? They were always my favorite part of the cookie. I spent a good part of my childhood convincing other skeptical kids it was OK to eat them.

A local store just started carrying them for the holiday season. I looked at the label and sure enough “for decorative uses only”!

- abby
posted December 28th, 2007 at 2:14 pm

to abby

You can eat Dragees if you want. They say, or recommend, not to eat them only because some of them are covered with a metallic material that “could” be unhealthy. Also, because of the possibility of choking (aimed specifically at children), they need to state this so they can be covered legally. However, with that being said, there are specific dragees called “Edible Pearl Dragees” that can be eaten without any ill-effects. These specific dragess are meant to be eaten. They are difficult to find in stores, but can be found online in all colors and sizes. Hope that helps clear up any confusion. I, too, was surprised when I first learned that because they were always my favorite part of the cookie as well. Luckily, I found the edible pearl dragees to help solve all the problems and conerns.

- TJ
posted July 29th, 2008 at 2:17 pm

Dragees are Safe!!!

- jing jing
posted December 14th, 2008 at 12:51 pm

WOW i neve rknew this i was on Food Network and they said you can add them to a cookie ”Sandra Lee” said it. I was about to buy it and put it on my brothers cookies!{-(

posted December 24th, 2008 at 10:15 pm

Dragees are pretty safe if you don’t eat the whole container!!! You’ll only be consumer 5 to 10 dragees a year, right?! It’s not like one will eat it every day. That could cause problems.

I had them when I was younger and I don’t have problems. The European crountries use and eat them in their baking. What is wrong with Americans???? Everything has to be looked under a microscope before you can even use it.

Just use your common sense people!

- jeanne