Stirring Peppermint Marshmallows

Monday, December 18, 2006

Spoonfuls of peppermint marshmallowI whipped up a half batch of peppermint marshmallows to add to a marshmallow tasting kit I am devising. Adding three drops of peppermint essential oil to the basic marshmallow recipe proved to be on the intense side of the flavor spectrum. Almost a bit tingly, but still delightful. To visually distinguish these mallows, I added a drops of red food coloring immediately to the freshly poured surface and swirled them about with a toothpick. The color is intense, even through the powdery coating that finishes the peppermint pillows. The stark swirls fit the flavor profile- not a soft vanilla mint pink version, but almost sharp.

peppermint swirl marshmallowsScraping the extra bits of sweet fluff out of the mixing bowl with spoons, succinctly cradles the marshmallow cream into perfectly preserved cushions. I swirled a bit of red in, and let the spoons set up overnight with their peppermint kin.

These marshmallowed spoons serve as a wonderful stir-in to add a touch of sweet and flavor to tea, coffee or hot chocolate.

Made with elaborately handled spoons, these serve as a special year round gift from your kitchen.

posted December 18th, 2006 at 8:27 pm

That’s a really cute idea, with the spoons. And the swirls work so well!

posted December 18th, 2006 at 10:25 pm

Oh, these are incredibly cute! I still haven’t tried marshmallows, but I’m definitely using your recipes when I finally take the step. :)

- Anne
posted December 19th, 2006 at 9:29 am

That’s funny, I made mint marshmallows last night as well.

tis the season!

posted December 20th, 2006 at 12:04 pm

Wow, those are beautiful! Maybe I’ll get inspired to try something cool like that. The spirit is willing, but the flesh runs out of time and energy…!

- Lisa
posted December 20th, 2006 at 12:48 pm

Yummy—I love peppermint!

posted December 25th, 2006 at 8:57 pm

I’m making peppermint marshmallows, too, for a post-Christmas party I’m having later this week. Yours look gorgeous!

posted December 8th, 2007 at 3:22 pm

I had a hard time with the peppermint version of the marshmallow recipe. I opted to add starlight mints, and substituted just under a 1/4 cup sugar for the ground candy. It worked well and beat together beautifully, but the peppermint flavor was lost.. i didn’t have extract!! I also tried to do the swirls, but I think the candy threw the consistency off a bit, as the mix was too tacky to swirl the color in. I made vanilla marshmallows as well, and those have turned out beautifully! I can’t wait to eat them. In the future, I know now that candy’s flavors are significantly weakened during the process. When I try lemonheads, I’ll keep some lemon extract on hand just in case.. Thanks, and keep up the great work!

- Erica
posted December 17th, 2007 at 10:42 pm

[...] must give a shout out to this recipe. I’ve never made anything so ambitious as marshmallows before, but once the concept was [...]

posted November 5th, 2008 at 6:29 pm

These look great, I’d love to make them as gifts. Does anyone know how long they keep for in an air tight container?

- jennifer
posted December 7th, 2008 at 8:38 am

Did you add the peppermint instead of or on top of the vanilla extract?

I do both -it depends on what you like. They are fine with just peppermint.

- Kevin
posted December 18th, 2008 at 9:03 am

I love this idea but I have a few questions. In the basic recipe you call for rice flour. What is rice flour? I can’t find any anywhere and was wondering if there is a suitable substitute? Also, all I have is mint extract – since I am not useing something with the power of peppermint essential oil – how much extract would you recommend that I use? Thanks so much!

Hi Elizabeth

Rice flour is finely ground rice that is the consistency of corn starch- even softer and smaller than flour particles. This is called for the mixture that dusts marshmallows to keep them from being all sticky. If you can’t find rice flour (my preferred starch) you can try a direct substitution of potato starch or corn starch.

Peppermint essential oil is extremely potent- peppermint extract isn’t. Try adding 1/4 tsp to a batch and then ask someone else to taste it (very important as your nose will be full of the peppermint smell and therefore you will be a bad judge). If they think you should add more- add 1/8 tsp more.

Enjoy!

- Elizabeth Dahle
posted November 7th, 2013 at 6:22 am

I tried to purchase peppermint essential oil for this recipe. The woman who worked in that area said that essential oils are ONLY for fragrance and should not be used to ingest. We then looked at the extracts and found an extract that had peppermint oil in it with no alcohol. That worked very well. Better safe than sorry