No More

Thursday, December 14, 2006

I don’t buy canned refried beans anymore.

I don’t buy ketchup anymore.

I don’t buy Bisquick anymore.

I don’t buy canned soup anymore.

I don’t buy canned chili anymore.

I don’t buy salad dressing anymore.

I don’t buy teriyaki sauce anymore.

I don’t buy bottled marinades anymore.

…I can make them better myself.

I don’t buy soda anymore.

…for nutrition reasons.

I don’t buy Hershey’s anymore.

I don’t buy Nestle anymore.

I don’t buy non-local apples anymore.

…because I’ve had better.

posted December 15th, 2006 at 6:21 am

could you post your refried bean recipe? I’ve been looking for one. Thanks!

Good editorial nudge Weaver… I’ve got a recipe in my Huevos Rancheros post. The current difference is I make up the pinto beans in my pressure cooker (45 minutes of pressured cooking time) instead of using canned beans.

posted December 15th, 2006 at 8:50 am

No ketchup?!?

Heresy!

How can you leave the loving embrace of Heinz? No allegiance, loyalty or faithfulness?

Surely, you won’t eat fries and a burger naked?

Oh, you misunderstand my declaration! I occasionally make my own, though I more often than not, will make up self saucing potatoes, that make their own ketchup as they bake.

No ketchup with tomatoes? :shudder: that would be a sad world!

- Marky
posted December 15th, 2006 at 9:08 am

My hats off to you! I also think from-scratch is better on so many levels.

I admit though I’m not completely from-scratch. If making decorated cupcakes for work- I often do the no-brainer option and buy cake mix!

- Andrea
posted December 15th, 2006 at 4:55 pm

I’m the same way. Add enchilada sauce to your list. Easier to keep a few cans of tomato sauce in the pantry and turn them into marinara sauce or enchilada sauce or whatever the stomach fancies.

You’re right that is an excellent addition. I’ve never made enchilada sauce with tomatoes before. I’ve used soaked dried chilies as the bulk of the sauce. I’m interested in trying your enchilada sauce recipe Ellen, thanks.

posted December 16th, 2006 at 1:05 am

I agree! Though I admit to going back to canned tomatoes this year when the carefully peeled and processed tomatoes–grown locally, picked at the peak of ripeness and just one day off the vine–that I lovingly canned this summer turned out watery and lacking in flavor.

Can’t win them all.

- Tea
posted December 16th, 2006 at 11:32 am

Great list, and good thinking!

- Tana
posted December 16th, 2006 at 9:10 pm

I was just thinking that lately I’ve been more likely to make things from scratch (especially desserts, like cakes and pudding) because they taste so much better.

posted December 22nd, 2006 at 8:12 am

So what are the things that you hate to admit to people? I’ll confess mine: spray fake-butter on green beans. Also, whipped cream in a can (because I adore the sound it makes.)

Oh- good ones. I have broadcast some of these in my culinary confessions post, though I can add that I’ve been known to run my finger through tubs of Cool Whip!

- Joy
posted February 11th, 2007 at 8:43 pm

You couldn’t pass on your bisquick recipe could you?

Hi Carla. I don’t have a Bisquick recipe- I simply make up each recipe as it is desired. There are probably tons of make your own bisquick recipes available on line- though I haven’t tried any. The only bulk batch recipe I use is Alton Brown’s pancake dry mix.

cheers,