the Often Maligned Chocolate Pudding

Sunday, December 10, 2006

In the times of being a child, the one who brought a precious pudding cup to school in their lunch bag was more than likely the target of horrible lunch time teasing.

I’m lucky in that this was the extent of my tumultuous childhood conflicts; endure the teasing of eating something that resembled a bodily function output, never mind how tasty this pudding cup was? I’m sad to say, I never encouraged the inclusion of such pudding in my lunch, as I didn’t want to be the center of such attentions.

With this childhood rooting I seemed to have banished chocolate pudding from my adulthood as well. Whenever a sweet chocolate fit would strike, brownies, mousses, and cookies found their ways into my repertoire, but the simple pudding remained shunned.

In a recent fit of dessert longing and chocolate craving, Sweets offered up this simple exclamation: pudding!

To appease him, I looked up a recipe on Epicurious, and came upon a Double Chocolate Pudding. The ingredients are simple and to the point- the recipe is quite straightforward. We cooked up a batch that night and even ate it warm…

Oh, I forgot how good pudding is! And eaten slightly warmed seems to increase the flavors even more. Its rich, filling, a good way to revel in a particularly wonderful specialty chocolate. This pudding is a good in small amounts, to be savored in cute little cups.

Double Chocolate Pudding

This recipe is a slight revision of the one found on Epicurious. With a good chocolate that doesn’t contain dairy, this recipe can easily be made vegan.
Chocolate Pudding DripIn a saucepan, whisk to combine:

Put the saucepan over medium heat and have ready 2 1/2 cups of dairy:

Gradually whisk in the dairy component, and bring the mixture to a boil.
Remove from the heat and stir into the hot pudding 3 ounces of grated eating chocolate and 1 1/2 tsp of vanilla.

Allow to cool slightly before eating, or cool with plastic making contact with the surface of the pudding to prevent a skin from forming.

I imagine this pudding would respond well to the dairy portion being decreased with a simultaneous inclusion of rum to make up the missing volume!

posted December 10th, 2006 at 2:05 pm

“This pudding is a good in small amounts, to be savored in cute little cups.”

Small amounts. I have trouble with small amounts. :)

Mmmmm. Pudding.

I too have similar troubles.
Restraint? bah!

- SteveG
posted December 10th, 2006 at 6:20 pm

I didn’t know it was that simple. I’ve always made pudding from a box – now I have to give a scratch version a try. Have you made other flavors?

I haven’t yet Cyndi- just the traditional straight up chocolate with 70% as the second chocolate. I was tempted to make part of the stirred in liquid portion (listed as the dairy part) coffee.

It seems I may need to visit how to make butterscotch now!

posted December 11th, 2006 at 6:00 am

I’ve got a new client who’d requesting desserts and that looks like a good one. Beautiful photo.

posted December 11th, 2006 at 7:16 am

Rum would definitely be a welcome addition to pudding!

posted December 11th, 2006 at 8:20 am

*slobberdroolsalivate*

Oh. Pardon my slavering… ;) That sounds incredibly good and I LOVE pudding.

On an aside… OMG. GoFugYourself is the most hysterical website ever.

- Meredith
posted December 12th, 2006 at 2:20 pm

I’ve never made pudding, only custards and this looked so good and seemed so easy I gave it a try…it is easy!

I think I might add a shot of espresso next time in place of part of the dairy.

posted December 13th, 2006 at 10:36 am

This is one of my favorite recipes-I do reduce the cornstarch a bit, and I always add some orange zest and Gran Marnier….thanks for the reminder about the recipe! It’s the ultimate luxurious comfort food.

- Sara
posted December 19th, 2006 at 9:45 pm

I love pudding in a pie shell. I wrote about it on my blog back in October

- Barb
posted December 30th, 2006 at 12:04 pm

[...] Reading through the cookbook Bittersweet has developed the idea that cocoa powder’s flavor benefits from being simmered. When creating this non-sweet cocoa solution I simmered the water and cocoa powder together: and much to my surprise found it acting exactly like chocolate pudding! [...]

posted January 24th, 2007 at 2:08 pm

I tried this with dark chocolate and one cup of coffee/cup and a half skim milk. It’s amazingly rich and beautiful, but there isn’t quite enough of the coffee flavor to it. Next time, it’s a cup and a half of coffee and a cup of skim milk.

Thanks for the feedback report Eric. This may be a sweet treat this weekend!

- Eric
posted August 5th, 2007 at 4:19 pm

I did the cup and a half coffee…and cup of rice milk. Turned out YUMMY!!! And some shaved dark chocolate on top of it (after I put it in a pie shell).

Ooo pie! great idea.

- Terri
posted October 20th, 2007 at 7:02 pm

We made a mocha pie – chocolate pudding (using nescafe instant coffee) with a almond biscotti crust – awesome! Next up, pour half chocolate pudding (w/coffee) side-by-side with vanilla pudding and swirl before it sets. Latte pie! Remember to top with some almonds and then use a liberal amount of whipped cream. Yummy.

- evan
posted January 27th, 2008 at 2:57 pm

I’m afraid I have my own secret recipe for chocolate pudding. It’s instant custard powder – the sort you mix with milk and sugar and heat up until the custard goes thick and lovely – with drinking chocolate powder.

It takes a couple of minutes to make in the microwave and is instant gratification when you want hot chocolate pudding.

I always try to make plenty. Small amounts indeed!? No, always large amounts and put some in fridge containers that you can chill and lid and keep for pudding the next day.
And of course using a huge jug is the only way to go when making custard in the microwave.

Mix custard powder, sugar, drinking chocolate and a splodge of milk. Mix until the lumps have gone. Add the rest of the milk, nuke in the microwave for a couple of minutes. Stir. Stir again. Put back in and heat again for another minute or so. Stir again. Repeat until as thick as you want it.
Dilute with milk if you make it too thick, stir fast and nuke again if it chills too much.

I’d go and make some now but I’ve got a dish chilling in the fridge from yesterday!

posted February 14th, 2008 at 3:02 am

We made this last night, using (light) thickened cream as the dairy component, and WOW. We stuffed crepes with it. So dreadfully yummy! :)

- Jen
posted June 10th, 2008 at 7:47 am

For even greater simplicity, cook it in the microwave. Easier and yummy.

- k
posted July 22nd, 2008 at 9:06 pm

the skin is the best part!!

- allison
posted November 8th, 2008 at 10:09 am

hey im gunna try this hopefully it works! making it with my grandma! (im 12) lol!

thnx

posted February 18th, 2009 at 7:12 pm

I made this with my 4 year old and it turned out great!

- veronica
posted March 1st, 2009 at 7:18 pm

[...] Chocolate pudding photo credit: the also delicious Brownie Points blog [...]

posted July 21st, 2009 at 12:31 pm

I made this over the weekend and it was the best pudding I’ve ever tasted. I used dark cocoa and 70% chocolate. Unfortunately, I had very little milk but lots of cream. OMG! What a luscious, rich, decadent, warm spoonful of heaven! Best eaten warm, since it turned to mouselike fudge in the fridge (probably from all of that cream!). I really must make it with milk next time so that I can avoid the guilt aftewards.

Many thanks for a super easy, super delicious treat!

- katydid
posted July 21st, 2009 at 12:33 pm

Yeah – that would be ‘mousse-like”. ;o)

- katydid
posted October 8th, 2009 at 6:26 am

Has anyone tried this with coconut milk? I may try it very soon. . .

- Susan
posted July 6th, 2013 at 6:26 pm

I love a good chocolate pudding and this recipe looks great. I would love to try and make it some day.