Alternative Cooling Racks

Monday, November 13, 2006

Tiger Bread cooling on chopsticksI’ve been without a cooling rack in the kitchen. Sweets has co-opted it to help keep his laptop from overheating! Which works splendidly btw.

While making a loaf of Tiger Bread from Alice Medrich’s cookbook Bittersweet I remembered a technique I saw in Japan at Chiiori. They would place a row of chopsticks under freshly baked bread, thus allowing air under the warm loaf.

With my motley crew of chopsticks poking out from my bread I let it cool overnight. The next morning I was rewarded to a loaf of sweet cakey bread that was nice and crisp on the bottom too! Success.

posted November 14th, 2006 at 8:19 am

I love simple solutions. Is Tiger bread like marble bread?

• yes- she calls it Tiger Bread for its stripes :)

posted November 14th, 2006 at 11:48 am

i don’t know which looks better…the bread or the picture of the bread!

• :Munching: …the bread! thanks
posted November 14th, 2006 at 9:08 pm

i just read medrich’s book too and would like to try some of the recipes too. your bread looks very much like the picture in the book, very pretty!

posted November 16th, 2006 at 1:22 pm

Wow, the bread looks delicious!
Any chance you’ll be posting the recipe?

• I don’t post more than one recipe for a cookbook- and I’ve already tagged this one (Melting Chocolate Meringues). It’s a cookbook I totally recommend though (Alice Medrich’s Bittersweet)! The bread recipe is an interesting one too with olive oil for the fat, and a touch of black pepper. To make the swirls, part of the batter is set aside and mixed with cocoa powder to create the second color. The two batters are then alternated over one another with no additional swirling. it’s quite yummy.

- Ingrid
posted November 17th, 2006 at 6:46 pm

ha, we use the cooling rack to cool our laptop too. thanks for this life hack… the bread sounds most delicious. ill have to look for the recipe.

posted November 19th, 2006 at 1:27 am

Wow that chopstick trick is really ingenious! Your cake looks delicious! I’ve tried this recipe before and unfortunately it didn’t quite work out for me. My marbling effect was not as beautiful as yours and I missed out on about 1/2 a cup of flour :( And I didn’t quite like the olive oil taste either.

• Dang- that’s too bad. I really liked the flavors of mine. I suppose that the olive oil one choses has quite an effect on the flavor too.

- mj
posted November 30th, 2006 at 3:28 pm

Hi there,
I have a copy of Alice Medrich’s “Bittersweet”. I was copying down the recipe for Tiger Bread and noticed that she calls for 2 different measurements of sugar. Did you use 2 1/2 cups white sugar like the recipe calls for??? Please let me know–I just thought it was very strange not putting the whole lot together…
Thanks! PS–would have e-mailed you but I couldn’t, for some reason. Sorry.
=^..^=

This happens to be one of those recipes that really need the instructions along with a list of ingredients. The first measurement of sugar (1/2 cup) is only used in combination with the cocoa. The second measurement of sugar (2 cups) is mixed with the olive oil, vanilla extract, pepper and eggs, and milk with flour, baking powder and salt. After that second batch of sugar is mixed up with all those ingredients, a portion of the white batter is scooped out into the bowl of cocoa, sugar (1/2 cup) and water to make up the chocolatey batter.

If this still doesn’t make sense feel free to say so, and I’ll clarify it again.

The recipe is a bit complicated sounding at first- it took me a couple read throughs before attempting!

- Yvonne
posted January 2nd, 2007 at 8:23 pm

[...] My slice of tiger bread is happy to see you! [...]

posted February 7th, 2007 at 7:26 pm

[...] need to scrounge up cooling racks after Sweets put mine to use keeping his laptop from overheating. Using chopsticks to elevate my cooling bread works well for large surface area items. This time around I was stymied by the need to cool [...]

posted November 20th, 2008 at 4:01 am

Dear Alice,
I would like to have the recepie of TIGER BREAD,if you please send me I will be so pleased.

Your faithfully
Mahsa

I’m not Alice, but check out this link for a recipe for her Tiger Bread.

Enjoy

- mahsa
posted July 11th, 2013 at 11:19 am

A good knife set will probably be made of stainless steel with good quality wooden handles. In 1840 small town northern Italy, the Ricci silversmiths, a collection of highly skilled craftsmen, joined together to establish the Ricci Argentieri Guild House. With such amazing characteristics, this tableware is incredibly famous amongst a great deal of homeowners and professional chefs.

posted November 4th, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Dust mites in bedding are killed within ten minutes by dryer heat, but it can be virtually impossible to get dust mites and their waste out of mattresses and pillows. If you invest more than 800 dollars, you aren’t guaranteed an excellent cleaning, but it is worth it. For example, people with a latex allergy often have related food allergies.

posted December 11th, 2013 at 8:26 am

This printer even prints a color photo in black and white or sepia. Besides, purchasing high-quality monochrome laser printers for your business will not cost you much compared to inkjet printers. 3) Click here to join the Gather Essentials: Travel group.

posted May 30th, 2014 at 2:33 am

It is important to give your Roberto Cavalli sunglasses good care at all times. Bamboo tableware and accessories are becoming vital part of catering arrangement nowadays. All the pieces have a Christmas tree in the center of the pattern.

posted June 9th, 2014 at 9:41 pm

Even outgrown toys can be sorted for recycling, but may have to be transported to the facility. If the marrow bones get grungy after your shih tzu eats out the treat in the middle, put them in the dishwasher. When searching for green toys and toys made from recycled materials, there are many options available.

posted June 25th, 2014 at 4:36 am

Excellent article. Keep posting such kind of info on your site. Im really impressed by your blog. Hello there, You’ve performed an excellent job. I will definitely digg it and in my opinion suggest to my friends. I am sure they will be benefited from this web site.

posted August 31st, 2014 at 3:37 pm

In an ethical practice, each time a controversy breaks, they must dig all possible holes aand get every detail from different sources. Most conveniently the offices are situated neear the Orange County jails. Statistically, females are more inclined to carry the occupationn of the licensed bail enforcement agent more than a fugitive recoivery agenmt or bounty hunter.

posted September 1st, 2014 at 6:34 pm

Vacuum cleaners with bags need to be replaced frequently. Whether you buy OEM vacuum cleaner bags or after-market ones, you do not need to buy them straight from the company. Of course, because a vacuum appliance is very important in our lives, we must do all we can to make sure that service continues for a longer period of time.

posted September 7th, 2014 at 3:04 am

His wife lying beside him barely sighed while he quietly made his method to the bathroom. And because the group was known to be generous while using tip, they received the nearly undivided attention of the staff. His kids were it is essential in his life.