Coconut Pecan Chocolate Drops

Sunday, October 8, 2006

I’m curious about something… could you do a quick household survey for me? Do you like coconut? What about the rest of your household? Now, do you see any sort of correlation between gender and coconut preference?

Coconut Pecan Chocolate DropsJust wondering as I seem to have formed a culinary prejudice over the years that women like coconut, and men prefer its absense. Even when making these cookies I left part of the batter unaltered for Sweets. Though it turns out he’ll eat the batter with coconut too, his preference is the unadulterated stuff.

I took a favorite Alice Medrich cookie recipe, the Bittersweet Decadence cookies and did the quite thinkable to it- added lots of lucious sweet shredded coconut and toasted pecans to the batter before cooking.

The resulting cookie has a nice crunch of coconut, with a sweetness that lingers on your teeth. Interestingly, the with coconut cookies are a touch drier than the unadulterated ones… I think next till I’ll add a splash of rum to the batter. They are nice little morsels though… quite a naughty breakfast today!

I’m feeling inspired to whip up another varient to bring into work tomorrow. Perhaps it’ll be one I can enter into the Foodography 10 as well…

posted October 8th, 2006 at 11:18 am

Yes, your culinary prejudice holds up in this household of two, with diametrically opposed opposites. My husband HATES coconut in any form, while I love it. Wonderful-sounding recipe.

- KarenK from the OR Coast
posted October 8th, 2006 at 12:09 pm

I LOVE coconut, hubby despises it; son will tolerate it in doses but not in its raw form. Ironically, hubby hates coconut 90% of the time…. present him with a raw coconut that he must break open in some oh-so-manly way and he’ll drink the milk and eat the raw form.

posted October 8th, 2006 at 2:31 pm

I’m with KarenK. Holds true for us.

- c
posted October 8th, 2006 at 3:41 pm

Hey you!

Jeff and I both like coconut…

• duly noted! ;)
- Joe
posted October 8th, 2006 at 5:07 pm

We both like coconut here — although as a kid I (the female) didn’t like it much. Almost hated it. Cookies look yummy!

- Trinity
posted October 8th, 2006 at 7:16 pm

In our household (two male, one female), we all like coconut flavor in many things, but none of us enjoy the grated dried coconut texture exemplified by Mounds candy bars. Coconut curries and chutneys get our thumbs up. Does that skew the curve?

• Hrmmm… that is an interesting point: texture vs flavor. I hadn\’t separated the two. Skew the curve- maybe, also gets you extra credit!

posted October 8th, 2006 at 7:31 pm

I like your leaf plate. I\’ve seen a lot of them about. Haven\’t gotten one yet though

• thanks Teddy- its my first time using it for photographs.

posted October 8th, 2006 at 8:38 pm

I like coconut. My hubby only likes coconut milk in curries and rice puddings.

- CVS
posted October 8th, 2006 at 10:41 pm

Nice post! My husband and I both hate food with shredded coconut, though we love thai dishes with coconut milk in them.

posted October 8th, 2006 at 11:07 pm

It’s the same here – I love coconut, and Per would rather not have it at all.

- Anne
posted October 9th, 2006 at 1:26 pm

I can take it or leave it — although I consider the milk essential for amny curries.

posted October 9th, 2006 at 6:12 pm

I like coconut and teh SO does not. Strange.

- Meredith
posted October 10th, 2006 at 7:27 am

I do like coconut in curries. My hubby and I do not like coconut in dessert ourselves but I’m willing to try this variation. I just baked the same cookies myself , aren’t they truly decadent ? Here is my post on this :

Veronica’s Test Kitchen – Chocolate Delirium

posted October 11th, 2006 at 12:42 pm

Looks yummy. Thanks for the post.

posted October 11th, 2006 at 12:57 pm

Hubby and I both like coconut. In south Indian dishes (Kerala region), in dessets, coconut ice cream!

posted October 11th, 2006 at 2:02 pm

so, we both love coconut (hubby and I). but I do know this one girl that will not it it (but her fiance loves it)

• Guess we know who likes the coconut in that relationship… ;)

- sallie
posted October 12th, 2006 at 5:11 pm

I, female, am not fond of coconut. I loathe it in candies, will eat it in curries but don’t want the taste to be overwhelming. Still, it’s more the texture thing.

- TRM
posted October 14th, 2006 at 5:49 pm

Well, my boyfriend\’s favourite flavours are honeydew, lychee, and..*drumroll*… coconut.
He\’s a bit of a nut though.

• That would be an amazing trio of ice cream / sorbet flavors! Yum…

– McAuliflower

- Coral
posted October 15th, 2006 at 7:05 am

Like Trinity, as a kid I was not a coconut fan, but I really enjoy it now. I would love a tast of that
coconut pecan chocolate drop.

posted October 17th, 2006 at 10:00 am

I was unhappily unable to print out the recipes and I am wondering why?? Help.
Ann-Marie

• Sorry Ann-marie this is a bit too vague of a question for me to answer. Especially as this posting doesn\\\’t contain a recipe.
    Email me your specifics (What recipe, from a page?, your process,etc) and maybe I can help. For all I know your printer may be out of paper! :)

- ann-marie cardenas
posted October 18th, 2006 at 1:01 pm

I just stumbled upon this blog and I love your recipes!

Oddly enough my boyfriend and I were just having this discussion the other night. I love coconut and he despises it!

But my dad loves it so who knows?

- Sarah
posted November 3rd, 2006 at 6:47 am

I really love coconut.

I have the same theory (which I realize is wrong, but still stick to) about rootbeer. Boys like it, girls not so much. Gender baised, silly and wrong, I know, but I still think of it as a masculine drink…wierd.

You should poll the people at the Mounds candy bar site…see if they know who buys more of their candy…

LOL.

• Ooooo- I could agree with you on the root beer angle. I don’t really like it.. reminds me of cough syrup too much. Though if there’s enough vanilla ice cream with it, I can be persuaded :)

One odd combination I indulged in with a sweetie: root beer with peanut butter cups… it makes for rather awesome burps!

posted November 4th, 2006 at 3:42 pm

Wandered over here from eGullet. Nice moniker. Good blog.

I am a guy. I like coconut as a stand-alone flavor (macaroons, coconut cake, coconut ice cream, those chunks of raw coconut that they used to sell, & perhaps still do, on the streets in Paris).

Mix coconut in with other things, though – granolas particularly come to mind – and I usually dislike the whole mixture. I suspect that, with the coconut chocolate pecan drops, I would leave out the coconut & love the result.

- ghostrider
posted November 13th, 2006 at 3:39 pm

A really great recipe! I tried it:
Sorry, it’s in german, but I hope photo can tell how yummy these cookies are. With or without coconut: I love both versions.

• Ooo I’ll have to drag my rusty German skills through your post :)
    Thanks for the report back Claudia. Your touch of a nut on top is perfect!