Japan: General Impressions So Far

Monday, August 7, 2006

Tako Sticks, detailBeing a foodie in Japan has been astounding. Its been a fun exploration by taste that hasn’t overwhelmed me- yet.

A couple of notes…

posted August 8th, 2006 at 5:21 am

I wondered what the go was with the 99% cacao bars (though I think I saw one in Ottawa too). I actually know what i’m talking about when i say my local newspaper tastes better than 99% chocolate.

posted August 8th, 2006 at 6:34 am

Speaking of chocolates, while you’re there in Japan, if you haven’t yet, it’s supposed to be a must to try Royce’s chocolates. Some critics consider it the best chocolate in the world now. They’re also well-known for their chocolate-covered potato chips.

- c.
posted August 10th, 2006 at 1:52 pm

I am SO JEALOUS! All of these finds are so cool. I was also surprised at the number of French bakeries. Have a great time. I can’t wait to keep reading about your trip.

posted August 10th, 2006 at 1:54 pm

By the way, how are you managing to post? Have you found good access to public computers or did you bring your own? I\’m glad we\’re able to read as you are there.

Hi Kelli,

• Our homebase is at our friend Chris\’s house in Tokushima. I\’ve been posting from his place when we have a chance. Not so many chances right now… hopefully soon though! :)

Using Picasa to download and crop images in combination with flickr has worked well for this trip. In fact, this trip convinced me to buy a pro flickr account to organize the photos and share them with family. Its working well in combination with my travel journel.

We just came back from a three day visit at Chiiori (much to write on this!!). One more night here for the festival Awa Odori and then to Osaka before we depart.

Thanks for checking in on the visit. I look forward to catching up on my favorite blogs and finding out how your Fancy Foods experience went!

– McAuliflower

posted August 11th, 2006 at 11:21 am

“Strapped down with a belt of nori…” EXCELLENT image, I love it!

Sounds like you are having a great trip!

posted August 14th, 2006 at 10:13 am