Vacation Touchdown

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Want a fun tip to make your in meal flight a bit more entertaining?

kosher meal- wrappedAsk for a special meal option. Sweets did the ticket arranging and put us both down for the kosher meal option. This was the first time trying airline kosher- it gets a thumbs up. Additionally, having a special meal means they bring your food to you first.

Our kosher meal consisted of baked chicken on rice with carrots and green beans, a cold wild rice raisin salad, two rolls- one wheat one white, and a brownie with a cup of tea.

Air Canada also offers the following meal choices:

Sweets and I are rested and ready to venture out when our host, Chris, comes back for lunch!

And btw- so much for escaping heat… Tokashima is 33C and 75% humidity!

posted July 27th, 2006 at 10:16 pm

It’s true! Always ask for a special meal when flying (this is, of course, if you’ve not packed your own). Generally, the food is fresher and better, or, at least, less mysterious.

- Miranda
posted July 28th, 2006 at 2:32 am

Ah, but what you haven\’t told us is how good or bad the kosher meal was. :-)

I like bringing a can of goose rillettes with me when I fly. Always a great snack to have instead of crappy airline meals.

The one airline special menu that I\’ve always wanted to order from is the Singapore Airlines\’ business and first class kids menu. It\’s called Yummy! and features some awesome kids\’ foods. Of course, since I tend to fly at the back of the bus, I haven\’t been able to order it just yet.

• Ahhh-yes… the meal wasn\’t that bad! It did benefit from having salt and pepper added to it. Also, I wanted a vinegar flavor to add to the cold wild rice salad. However, our flight served us two meals, and we got the exact same meal the second time. It wasn\’t bad though it made me realize how much I avoid leftovers and repeats! With the second round I made little chicken sandwiches out of the rolls. :)

Bringing goose rillettes sounds fantastic! I admidt to wanting to make my fellow passengers jealous with my food choices.

posted July 28th, 2006 at 6:18 am

I like how you can request a bland meal. How is that different than the default?

Glad you arrived safely!

91 deg F, ugh.

• Right- its a meal option we won\’t be trying anytime soon!
    The weather is such a large component to the day. It\’s overbearing and sweaty… its good practice for zen disattachment: we have accepted the reality that we will be sweaty- all the time.

Handheld fans are very popular here, as our walking around with umbrellas. Only silly gaijin walk around with no hats and with exposed skin.

posted July 29th, 2006 at 10:35 pm

What airlines are even serving food anymore? It seems like even cross-country flights (Boston – Portland) are giving out \”snacks\” and drinks now. I haven\’t seen a hot meal served since flying to Hawaii and Scotland.

One flight was an 1 1/2 hours late (sat in plane while repair was being made) then flew for 3 hours, RAN like crazy to make the connection and then flew another 2 1/2 hours. NO MEAL. We were starved enough to eat the bad pretzels.

The moral of the story – I think everyone should pack their own water bottle and non-perishable snack and fruit from home when flying. You never know how long the day will be.

• Yeauch… being trapped online with no food doesn\’t sound happy. Just in case I also brought fruit leather, a Dagoba chocolate bar and roasted almonds. They worked well for serving as comfort food.

posted July 31st, 2006 at 4:33 am

The way everyone rants about AirCanada food I didn’t know what I was in for when I ordered the vegetarian meal. However, for the most part I was pleasantly surprised. Curry always wins bonus points for me. And, unlike Continental, they don’t serve bananas that taste like chalk. They serve other fruits which were actually quite edible. Kudos to them.

I read recently of a book by a food critic who buys gourmet stuff for her flight. I suppose that’s a good idea so long as all things are eaten before touchdown.

posted July 31st, 2006 at 2:25 pm

I’m always tempted to ask for the bland. I’m mean how much blander do you reckon they can make food. I’d see it as a challenge.

posted August 1st, 2006 at 6:08 pm

I must admit that I did a double take when I saw the kind words about Air Canada. Mind you, complaining about them is a national sport…like hockey and curling.

Have fun in Japan :)