Old Glory Tuna Sandwich

Monday, July 3, 2006

Old Glory Tuna SandwichHappy Fourth of July!

This post goes out to those in the ilk of Cookie Crumb of I’m Mad and I Eat. Cause if we couldn’t eat through our anger, we’d likely starve.

Old Glory Tuna Sandwich

It smells kind of fishy, and its likely to make you cry, but its our sandwich damn it.

Old Glory Tuna Sandwich, ToastedTo one drained can of good tuna add: (remember to give your drained tuna water to your kitty!)

Slather on to good all American white bread decorated with our flag courtesy of food coloring markers or painted on food coloring.
Enjoy the tears running down your face.

First Amendment Variation:
Decorate your all American white bread with the flag and toast before slathering on the tuna. Even better is to whip out your blowtorch and burn the edges… because you can.

posted July 3rd, 2006 at 4:14 pm

Sniffle…
::wipes away tears, but enjoys them nonetheless::
(Good thing that flag-burning amendment went nowhere.)

Eat your free speech, baby! Red, Hot and Blue!

posted July 3rd, 2006 at 8:42 pm

hi jocelyn, what creative, artistic and totally inventive use of food colouring markers!

- J
posted July 4th, 2006 at 11:07 am

Awesome! I especially love the “torch” comment! Everyone should have those food coloring markers as part of their pantry, and one of those cat butt mugs too!

posted July 4th, 2006 at 1:08 pm

Yum! I love tuna salad and am always looking for intersteing new ways to fix it. I have some wasabi powder in the cabinet which I can add to my mayo. mmmmm I know what I’m having for lunch tomorrow.

posted July 4th, 2006 at 2:54 pm

Too funny, now I need to hunt down some food coloring markers!

posted July 4th, 2006 at 4:19 pm

Great idea! I’m going to go paint a flag on a homemade marshmallow so I can watch it melt…

• Ooo I should have thought of that! Fun ;)

posted July 4th, 2006 at 8:16 pm

See what you made me do! LOL

posted July 4th, 2006 at 10:40 pm

Great site, McAuliflower. Although maybe you should give a warning about the dangers of blow torches. :) Seriously, though, is it good to give tuna water to cats? I’ve never heard of that, but it sounds like something they would absolutely love.

Cheers

posted July 11th, 2006 at 6:41 am

I’ve never come across food colouring markers before, but I will keep my eyes wide open for them now! I tried out this tuna recipe last night and it was divine!

posted July 12th, 2006 at 10:41 am

Your comment on tuna water made me laugh out loud. One day two years ago while making tuna salad, I dumped the combined water from three cans of tuna into a bowl for our two cats and one puppy. Unfortunately, while I was not looking, the one puppy got it all. Soon afterwards, he was crawling around miserably on the floor with the most distended puppy stomach in the world. My friend sat down to comfort him and was promptly drenched in an uncontrollable stream of tuna pee. The look on both their faces was priceless.

Keep up the good work! Your blog is one of my favorites.

- Jenn
posted July 20th, 2006 at 3:29 pm

[...] The recipe for my 4th of July celebratory Old Glory Tuna Sandwich. Struck by the urge to celebrate my feelings of sorrow mixed with patriotism, as well as the burning desire to play with my food coloring markers, this sandwich “smells kind of fishy, and its likely to make you cry, but its our sandwich damn it.” Make sure to enjoy it 1st Amendment style! [...]

posted July 25th, 2006 at 8:26 pm

I make my tuna with a bit of mayo, dijon mustard, cracked pepper, diced onion & celery and a healthy dose of dill weed. YUM!

- blu
posted May 28th, 2008 at 10:03 am

Wasabi? ..not American.

- Doug
posted May 18th, 2009 at 11:11 am

wtf? are you serious? you can’t eat the flag!!

- oldmanriver