What’s Inside an MRE?

Sunday, June 25, 2006

MRE logoMy MRE package had all of this packed in there. When making everything for the Govt Food shot, I was surprised at how much packaging waste came out of the bag.

Did I taste it, yeah but it wasn’t special. Mostly the flavors of canned food… mellowed out without alot of good high notes. Even the brownie was so-so.

MRE contents

posted June 26th, 2006 at 10:29 am

I had no idea how much stuff could be packed into an MRE. I certainly didn’t anticipate chicklets and cheese spread. I can’t imagine how the powdered grape beverage might taste though. Maybe like sweet sweet Kool Aid?

posted June 26th, 2006 at 1:46 pm

I’m guessing you don’t remember the wonderful picnics we went on just to consume Meals Ready to Eat? Must have been when you were still at the “milk only” stage in life. I think we wanted to see if they really were edible. That’s still debatable. :)

- MoM
posted June 26th, 2006 at 3:32 pm

Comment 1: The taupe packaging is like camoflauge, melting discreetly into the backdrop, “hey where did my grape drink go?”. I think they need to jazz up the look, maybe brightly colored rip cords?
Comment 2: All of this mad unwrapping…and then the let down of a brown drab meal, very anti-climactic and time consuming too.

posted June 26th, 2006 at 3:33 pm

LOL – as I read the post title, I couldn’t help putting it to the tune of “Who’s afraid of the big bad wolf…” and I admit, I am. Afraid of MREs. A military-lovin’ friend gifted David and I with a “veggie burger” MRE, a clever joke gift for the vegetarian freaks, right? It was in the trash before I heard about the photo opportunities of the MREs. So sad!

I’m not surprised that the brownie didn’t earn any brownie points. :)

- Irie
posted June 26th, 2006 at 8:33 pm

haha a SPOOOOOON eh?

Teddy

posted September 20th, 2006 at 5:26 pm

Let me tell you, when you are very hungry, an MRE is very good. When all you’ve had to eat for a few days is not quite ripe crab apples, an MRE is also very good. Do not forget to eat the chicklets. Many believe they are a laxative to counteract the constipating effects of an MRE. Rule of thumb for an MRE, if it sounds nasty, it is. If it sounds bland, that’s as good as it gets. The vegetarian entrees are some of the better ones. Stay away from the cheese and bacon spread and the mexican macaroni. The tabasco is good to lick the top of to keep a taste in your mouth when hungry.

- Mike
posted October 23rd, 2006 at 5:26 am

so do you think you will do anther one or a comparison of some sort of this MRE and the one I just gave you? btw if you want some more of themI’m sure I can get some.

Now that I think about it I think I will try to find the oddest sounding MRE and send it to you… I woner what it will be

• Yeah- I’ll do a before and after with it. And I’ll take your oddest sounding MRE- or you can take a picture of it all prepped and I’ll post it :)

- "Little" Bro
posted September 18th, 2007 at 12:40 pm

OMG the cheese spread! ooooh man that stuff is nasty! uugh.

- Had to eat MRE's after hurricane Frances
posted September 18th, 2007 at 12:43 pm

the drink mixes are pretty bad too though. dont get me wrong they fill their purpose but i wouldnt eat an MRE just for fun. if its what u got then their plenty good. but their no treat lol.

- Had to eat MRE's after hurricane Frances
posted September 26th, 2007 at 1:39 pm

The MRE’s only taste good in the bush.

The powdered drink is very sweet, but it covers up the nasty water purification tablets taste.

Most times, when you were out in the country, you only ate once a day. So your pretty hungry after being on patrol, those old MRE’s taste like a 4-5 star meal.

UGH but they do keep you going. ;)

- Papa Bob
posted March 27th, 2008 at 2:18 pm

a spoon? i wanted a spofork lol come on get with the times half-spoon half-folk lol the grapple drink as got to be better than TANG! LOL

posted May 12th, 2008 at 4:52 pm

MRE’s are very good, no matter what you get. In my military career, I have eaten hundreds of MRE’s. The best one was the noodles with meat sauce. Everything in there is not made for looks and taste, it is made for one purpose, to replenish lost nutrients. An average MRE contains 3500 to 4000 calories, and you need everyone of them when you are in a battlefield.

- Eric
posted February 24th, 2010 at 4:37 pm

my brothers in the military and the gum actually makes you constepated so you can keep training or doing whatever.

- narek
posted May 15th, 2010 at 9:03 pm

I just ate my first MRE. It was actually pretty tasty. I have always been fascinated by all things military. (My father is a Vietnam Vet) Mine was Chicken Catanelli (spell?) But, the chicken patty was that procces/chop and form chicken. The chicken was brown. Not too sure about that…but the pasta and tomato sauce was very good. Like Chef Boyardee. The Lemon Poppyseed cake was fabulous! There was also pretzels, (stale, tasted like container) and a wheat bread brick that was super good, and peanut butter. Oh, and it also had all the other essentials. (Spoon, spices, tobasco, coffee) I opened the napkin….it wasn’t a napkin. It was several squares, individually seperated, of toilet paper.

From my understanding, these food packages are a lot better then what they use to have. My father had some from way back when…(They were about 20 years old when I found them) and they didn’t look like that! They were rotten and smelled like all things horrible! I do believe they had gone bad…very very bad.

I would love to try that brownie dessert though. lol

- Natarella
posted September 24th, 2010 at 9:00 pm

WELL IF SOLDIERS HAVEN’T ATE FOR DAYS I THINK IT WOULD TASTE LIKE A GOURMET MEAL TO THEM……….
THANK YOU SOLDIERS FOR PROTECTING US.
I LOVE THE SOLDIERS,
ANONYMOUS!

- ANONYMOUS
posted November 16th, 2010 at 11:53 am

[...] excellent lunch.  Well, “lunch” turned out to be an MRE.  aka, Meals Ready to Eat. (Click here if you don’t know what I’m talking [...]

posted June 7th, 2011 at 10:00 pm

MRE is better than u have eat worm at the jungle… for me Rice burrito MRE is bad to eat but good for weapon lol..throw it to your enemy’s heads

- andy
posted September 12th, 2012 at 10:32 pm

any one know how i can get a hold of a mre???

- curiousity
posted December 19th, 2012 at 4:49 am

exelente para los dias de camping o cuando voy de cazeria (HUNTING) BIEN

- CARLOS CASTILLO
posted October 13th, 2014 at 5:14 am

I know this website provides quality depending posts and other data, is there any other website which gives these kinds of stuff in quality?