The online food forum, eGullet recently put forth the postulation that the average cookbook will only have 7 recipes make its way to its owners table. Fondling my newest cookbook, Alice Medrich’s Bittersweet, I can count off three recipes I’ve made in the last two weeks, and I can easily think of four more that need my knowledge.

The first recipe made were her Bittersweet Decadence Cookies, a wonderful batter that keeps its shape (doesn’t spread in the oven), and produces cookies with a shiny layer on top, reminiscent of really good brownies. This cookie recipe is very interesting, using hardly any flour, and consiting largely of melted chocolate. The second time I made it, I used walnut fig jam in place of the called for sugar, and found this densly chocolate cookie to reward it creator for experimenting with its flavors.

The second cookie made were the Saucepan Fudge Drops, a non-egg cookie that uses a good dallop of yogurt stired into melted butter and cocoa powder with sugar and flour. When sharing a plate with the Bittersweet Decadence Cookies, they both found their names transformed: these being the flat ones, and the Bittersweet Decadence cookies now being the outies as they really do reseamble a pregnant woman’s outie belly button.

This third cookie is such a surprising texture in my mouth. Consisting of eggwhites, melted chocolate and sugar, the
aptly named Melting Chocolate Meringues are papery delicate on top to reveal a melted chocolate like interior that smooths itself into an intense chocolate finish against the top of your mouth. This cookie is best eaten when made 1 inch across, to better accomodate a singular popping in the mouth. As written, this recipe calls for the addition of walnuts, though I can easily imagine crushed dehydrated cherries and chopped pistachios as a winning team to enrob with this cookie batter. The delicate nature of these cookies suggest that they should be consumed the same day they are made (to help facilitate- this recipe cuts in half very easily).

Alice Medrich’s Melting Chocolate Meringues

Alice Medrich's Melting Chocolate Meringues
from her cookbook Bittersweet. If you’re crazy about chocolate- I highly recommend you pick up this thoughtfully composed book.

Makes about thirty 2-inch cookies.

Preheat oven to 350F.

Melt 6 ounces of bittersweet or semisweet coarsely chopped chocolate, and set aside.

In a large bowl whip

till soft peaks form. Gradually add 1/4 cup of sugar (brown sugar works just as well too) and whip till the peaks are stiff, but not dry. Fold in the melted chocolate.

Drop by rounded teaspoon on a paper (or silpat) lined cookie sheet and bake 8-10 minutes. The finished cookies will have a crackled dry top surface.

Amazingly intense, you’ll only need to eat a couple of these cookies to satisfy a chocolate craving.

posted June 13th, 2006 at 10:50 am

McAuliflower,

You must be kidding me. I seriously got this book from the library YESTERDAY and have been poring over it all morning. And then I went and saw your post. Eerie. I was specifically drooling over the Chocolate Decadence cookies page (sorry Multnomah County Library!)- one of my favorites. Hers look phenomenal, but I will probably use more salt. I like salty chocolate.

I love a meringue – I am going to try those, for sure!

And you live in my hometown. Dig those Sweet Life brownies. And their peppermint patties. And every other thing I’ve eaten there, with the exception of some weird Barbie-pink cake I had one time. Not so good.

Eat a Euphoria sundae at Prince Pucklers for me!

• Small world!
    I used more salt (thinking… her recipe may not even call for salt) too. I’ve really enjoyed how well thought out this cookbook is- from the comments about chocolate substitutes, to tests refrigerating the dough… its a pretty amazing book.

Will tell Prince Pucklers hi for you ;)

- Joanna
posted June 13th, 2006 at 10:59 am

I was reading that thread, too, and I tend to think that good cookbooks will have at least 7 recipes that make it to the table. I mean, I have books that I’ve made recipes from and, even if they were good, never reached for the book again. I have others that I always turn to when I don’t yet have something in mind because all the recipes are good.
Anyway, the cookies look delicious. I’ve had my eye on the recipe for a bit, too. This seems like just the right inspiration.

- Nic
posted June 13th, 2006 at 1:38 pm

I too have been hearing some good things about that cookbook, maybe time to seriously think about getting it. I love the idea of the walnut fig jam instead of sugar, I bet that texture was great. I’ve noticed in other places you’ve recommended dehydrated fruit. Is this something that you find locally or is it a mail-order thing?

posted June 14th, 2006 at 7:02 pm

I made these cookies for my blog. They are my favorite chocolate cookie! I’ve been eyeing the recipe for the chocolate decadence cookies and Robert Linxe’s chocolate cookies (unsweetened Scharffen Berger chocolate is in the batter and as chunks). How do those fare compared to the melting meringues? The recipes all look so similar (anything with lots of chocolate looks the same).

posted June 14th, 2006 at 11:18 pm

Mmm… and I like my chocolate cake (flourless, 500g. chocolate, 5 eggs at about 250g. total, split, and about 140g. butter), but this sounds delicious.

posted July 3rd, 2006 at 5:29 am

Thanks for the recipe! The cookies were delicious.
How many walnuts, and when do they go in?

• Just put in as many as look right (try 3/4 cup), and in the last step of the recipe: while folding in the melted chocolate also fold in the nuts.

- pumpkinpie
posted July 12th, 2006 at 2:18 am

I came over here from Anne’s Food.

I just adore these–I think I’m going to make them again soon!

- May
posted October 8th, 2006 at 10:52 am

[...] I took a favorite Alice Medrich cookie recipe, the Bittersweet Decadence cookies and did the quite thinkable to it- added lots of lucious sweet shredded coconut and toasted pecans to the batter before cooking. [...]

posted July 31st, 2007 at 9:20 pm

[...] Recipe: Alice Medrich’s Melting Chocolate Meringues [...]

posted December 12th, 2007 at 12:13 pm

I made a double batch of these today. They are awesome! So quick and easy and delish! I added toasted pecans and next time I think I will make half with espresso powder in them. Yum!

Thanks for a wonderful recipe!

- Gayle in Missouri
posted December 13th, 2007 at 8:21 am

My mother used to make something similar to these but with shredded coconut in them. We lost the recipe with her but I’m hoping to try these for the holidays. Thanks!

posted February 2nd, 2009 at 1:16 pm

I’m going to bake these up tonight! This recipe yields so many cookies; how should I store them? I wonder whether the airtight containers I usually use will make the egg whites moist?

I’d go ahead and cut the recipe in half.
Otherwise- shape/scoop out your cookies on a cookie sheet and then freeze them into shape. When frozen hard- transfer to a bag and store int eh freezer to bake up individually.

- Marilyn
posted November 26th, 2010 at 2:04 am

Maybe tonight I used to make this Melting Chocolate Meringues , sounds delicious…

Thanks!

posted January 28th, 2011 at 10:37 am

[...] Recipe for Alice Medrich’s Melting Chocolate Meringues [...]

posted August 30th, 2014 at 6:11 pm

I do believe all of the concepts you’ve presented on your post. They’re really convincing and can definitely work. Still, the posts are very brief for novices. May just you please prolong them a bit from next time? Thank you for the post.