Monday, May 29, 2006
I’ve been distracted being a voyeur of the web lately. Not that I haven’t been thoroughly entertained by…
- Luke Chueh’s disturbingly poignant and dark paintings of teddybears, monkeys and chickens.
- losing my recipe for really good peanut butter based rice crispey treats that I had googled and was going to post about. Oddly, this recipe didn’t call for marshmallows. Now I can’t find it.
- the entries for the Government Food MRE competetion that are rolling in. I must get off my butt and make my entry.
- Alice Medrich’s amazing chocolate cookbook, Bittersweet. I don’t know why I waited so long to pick this up. Its amazingly researched, well thought, and inventive. Exploring the shiny crackly tops of brownies, and baked mousse is my kind of research.
- Anthony Bourdain’s Les Halles Cookbook. This cookbook cuts through the issues of organic, sustainable, and local food and reminds us of the core: to give a damn about what we eat. This book has a nice authoritative voice that doesn’t leave room for doubt, which is a nice change of pace.
- Ben Frost’s satyric collages have now placed the image of Hello Kitty holding a pink gun in my head.
- getting excited planning for Sweets and my three week trip in Japan. We’re biting down and finally adventuring to Shikoku, where a friend of ours has been teaching English for the last eight years.