Pink Taco

Thursday, May 25, 2006

taco girlRestaurant name gets city’s panties in a wad
Mayor, anonymous e-mailers in Scottsdale, Ariz., take offense at Pink Taco

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. – The name of a new restaurant in Scottsdale is stirring up trouble. The Las Vegas-based Pink Taco Mexican Restaurant is scheduled to open its second location in downtown Scottsdale in June.

Nearly half a dozen people in the upscale city recently expressed their objection to the name, claiming it’s a derogatory slang term for a portion of the female anatomy.

In late April, the city received four e-mails, three of which bore no names, objecting to the restaurant’s name.

One of those e-mails stated: “The City of Scottsdale has a very fine reputation around the world. Let’s keep the standards high. Let’s let what plays in Vegas stay in Vegas.”

Scottsdale Mayor Mary Manross has said she is offended by the name and went so far as to ask the owner to change it, although he refused.

Restaurant spokeswoman Lisa Perez said the company’s name comes from one of its menu items.

Perez said the company has not received any complaints or objections about its name.

posted May 26th, 2006 at 4:51 pm

Oh yes, I was just there. Funny how they can’t have a Pink Taco, but a Hooters is just fine.

- peabody
posted May 29th, 2006 at 7:03 am

Funny, you learn something new everyday. I wonder if all of Arizona now has a new slang term? Sometimes people go a bit far. Thanks for the good laugh!

posted May 30th, 2006 at 10:11 am

Best quote is from Tina Fey, SNL Newscaster, who said:
“Those looking for the Pink Taco will find it just a little bit south of the Hooters”.

- Bruce, Transcona,MB
posted June 3rd, 2006 at 2:35 pm

But it tastes like chicken

- Greg
posted June 16th, 2006 at 11:10 pm

So should we have a problem with In-N-Out Burger

• You know, I was just thinking of that one.
    I don’t have a problem :)

- DL
posted June 23rd, 2006 at 9:28 am

Scottsdale also has a reputation for the plethora of unique establishments that are sexy and fun. I was a Scottsdale resident for 15 years. Personally, I’ll be looking forward to eating out at the Pink Taco. Scottsdale is all about tempting and tantilizing. Mission accomplished!

- VB
posted June 27th, 2006 at 10:41 pm

I just saw The Daily Show with Jon Stewart and the highlight for me was the funny but surprising segment about the Pink Taco in Scottsdale. Surprising because as a 51 year old child of the sixties I thought myself pretty knowledgable about sexual slang, but realized I would certainly have patronized the restaurant without giving the name a second thought! But for me, I love Mexican food and the color pink so it sounded like a cool place! I think the ones complaining should get their heads out of the sewer. Now if it was called “The Bearded Clam”…..

• I thought the segment went off pretty well too!
    And it looked like a great taco! Shredded beets on top or really dark purple onions…

- Karen
posted August 18th, 2006 at 1:45 pm

Pink Taco,

A new one “I like it” what else do a group of students have to do than stand around and talk about? I like Pink Taco, Thanks Mayor.

The food is Fab!!!!!!!!!!!!! In Scottsdale try it.

Fred Sandoval

- fred sandoval
posted September 18th, 2006 at 7:38 am

We just ate out at Pink Taco. Definitely don\’t have a problem with the name. Plus it also helps that the food is FABULOUS. All 3 salsa flavors that came with our Chips were great. Full of flavor!
Then my boyfriend ordered the ribs which was a total hit. Some of the best ribs I\’ve ever had with watermelon BBQ Sauce. I can\’t wait to eat out again at The Pink Taco! wink

• sounds great! thanks for giving more of a context to this infamous restaurant :)

- Zizzolizzo
posted May 19th, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Restaurant as defined by Merriam-Webster diirocnaty: a business establishment where meals or refreshments may be purchased Taco Bell qualifies. Heck, by that definition, Stop-N-Go qualifies.Anyway, all who know me know that I would find it very difficult to exist without a Taco Bell. Okay, not really, but I do love it THAT much. Sure, the quality of the food probably isn’t the best, as is most food that comes from a fast food restaurant. But it’s good and it’s cheap. The service is usually very good and speedy and correct. I have a tendency to have special orders, so it’s a huge + in my books if they can get my order right on an astonishingly consistent basis. Which they do. The restaurant itself is usually clean from what I can see, but I usually get my food to go, so I don’t pay that much attention to details.