Teriyaki Grilled Tempeh

Saturday, May 13, 2006

See the The Summer Barbque Challenge Round-up!

I spent my second year of college in my first apartment with three roommates: my freshman year roommate Molly, her childhood friend Jenny, and Jenny’s partner in crime Hailey. While being introduced to splitting a household for the first time, this year in the apartment also gave me a new perspective on cooking and choosing food for reasons beyond flavor.

Our roommate Hailey was my first exposure to someone who is a vegetarian. She also chose her meals not just to be meat free but to also be healthy and nutricious- considerations I was aware of, but had never really seen someone do for themselves. It was fascinating! She exposed me to my first tofu, brown rice, peanut sauce topped broccoli, and Brag’s Amino Acid meals. These were just slightly ok in my book… I much prefered my adventures making cheese soup in bread bowls at the time.

One night, Hailey pulled out all the stops and made us teriyaki tempeh. While the concept of tofu was new to me- tempeh was unfathomable. I had no clue what it was- but it was wrapped in wonderful salty sweet teriyaki sauce, and passed the test of my taste buds.

Eugene hosts its own locally made tempeh put out by Surata Soy Foods. Tempeh is dense and meaty, being made of soybeans that are pressed into a brick and fermented giving it a deep flavor. Its density makes it very well suited to be cooked or grilled in a slab and eaten hamburger style on a soft bun.

I often find myself enjoying a food best in the style it was first introduced to me, and tempeh is one in that category:

Grilled Teriyaki Tempeh

Teriyaki Grilled TempehIn a sauce pan over medium high heat combine:

Bring to a simmer and lay in your servings of tempeh. Simmer the tempeh in the teriyaki marinade for 5 minutes. Remove the tempeh to drain slightly and continue to boil the teriyaki sauce till reduced to one cup of liquid.

Slightly oil a grill pan and heat. Cook the tempeh till grilled nicely on each side.
Remove the tempeh and brush with the reduced sauce.

May be served ontop of salad with a sprinkling of green onions, toasted sesame seeds and juicy mandarin oranges, or as a burger like slab on a bun with a slice of tangy pineapple.

Enjoy!

posted May 14th, 2006 at 7:07 pm

This sounds really tasty. I’ll have to give it a shot. It also sounds like it would work for extra-firm tofu that has been pressed to drain out some of the water as well.

posted May 16th, 2006 at 3:25 pm

Yumms makes a great tempeh sandwich – I wonder how they keep it so moist. When I BBQ tempeh it ends up dry… will give your marinade a try. Have to buy some Sake!

• When I grill tempeh- it isn’t really to cook it, but to just mark it on the outside. Having a hot grill, and having brief contact with it, prevents it from getting dry.

- kara
posted May 16th, 2006 at 5:48 pm

That looks like seriouly great tasting food. Look forward to trying this one. Thanks!

posted May 17th, 2006 at 10:28 pm

There’s a cooking contest on the Mambo Sprouts website that features soy sauce. This would be a great recipe for that! You should enter it, since the prize is $500 and all the soy sauce you can drink ;)

• Thanks for the heads up Kat. Hrmmm drinking soy sauce…

upon reading the contest rules:
    “recipes must not be published”

So all ‘blogged’ recipes would be uneligable! Poo.

- kat
posted May 20th, 2006 at 12:09 am

This is lovely! I used the tempeh as a basis for a salad. Check it out on the SBC Wrap-UP Round Up. (there’s a pic on my site) Thanks for the recipe :)

- kat
posted March 22nd, 2008 at 7:14 pm

[...] Downes, John 1987. The Soy Source, 1987: A practical guide to cooking with soy foods. image credit: brownie points [...]

posted May 11th, 2008 at 3:29 am

[...] if you like and bake for about 30 minues at 350 teriyaki grilled tempeh: (recipe courtesy of brownie points blog) "In a sauce pan over medium high heat combine: 1 cup of mirin 1 cup of soy sauce 1/2 cup [...]

posted June 22nd, 2008 at 11:46 am

I’ve made this recipe a couple of times experimenting with the proportions of wine, mirin and soy sauce. Every time it come out absolutely delicious!

- Kristen