Food Movies

Sunday, April 30, 2006

From perusing eGullet…

Answers given to the question: What’s the best food movie you’ve seen? I’d argue that some of these aren’t food movies per say. How about: Movies in which food is a character…

More!

posted April 30th, 2006 at 5:11 pm

Here’s another:
Chinese Feast.

I agree that some of these aren’t food movies, or at least that some are more food movie than others.

And what about food TV shows? I’m not talking about cooking shows but rather comedies and dramas like Three’s Company and Gilmore Girls in which food has a prominent place.

posted April 30th, 2006 at 9:38 pm

Hmmm..how about Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown, with the Valium Gazpacho?

And given your fixation on marshmellows, I’d have to go with Ghost Busters because of the Stay Puffed Marshmellow Man.

• Yes! the gazpacho… but I have to groan at the Ghost Busters reference!

- Judah
posted May 1st, 2006 at 4:23 am

My Big Fat Greek Wedding. Great one!

- Chloe
posted May 1st, 2006 at 5:15 am

Joc,

Eating Raoul?

posted May 1st, 2006 at 11:45 am

Simply Irresistible.

From your list, thought, Like Water for Chocolate and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory are two of my favorites. Can you see a common theme here? :)

- Meredith
posted May 1st, 2006 at 8:37 pm

oh Meredith, I was just going to come and put Simply Irresistable. So funny that someone else has seen it.

of course there is Gas, Food, Lodging but that is not so much about food really.

Kevin – Eating Raoul should DEFINITELY be on that list. That was a classic.

How about
Fast Food Nation
Spitfire Grill
Home Fries
Good Burger
Moonstruck

• I didn’t realize that Fast Food nation was close to being out. Looking at the “cast” I’m scared of what’s been done to the book!
    Good Burger… always ment to catch that. It jogged my memory to Harold and Kumar :)

posted May 2nd, 2006 at 9:55 am

Would the seduction scene in the 1970 version of Tom Jones qualify it? I guess that really dates me. What a great list.

posted May 2nd, 2006 at 1:14 pm

What about “Diner,” with Mickey Rourke et al?

- Tana
posted May 2nd, 2006 at 1:42 pm
- Brenda
posted May 4th, 2006 at 1:05 am

Great list. I love best of all Babette’s Feast, Big Night and Tampopo. Some seasons in Eat Drink Man Woman are also splendid. I hated, though, Tortilla Soup. I saw no point in that. A Latino remake of Eat Drink Man Woman that was done with less skill than the original? At least, if you are going to remake a movie, make the new version better. Tortilla Soup was awful.

The guy in me also loved Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle. But I’d never say that in front of my wife. ;-)

posted May 4th, 2006 at 2:10 pm

Chocolat

I wanted to eat a box of chocolates after this movie.

- Carmen
posted May 10th, 2006 at 8:32 am

What a great list. I found it while researching food films for Mother’s Day. I’ve only pick 10 though and direct folks over here for the “exhaustive” list.

posted May 12th, 2006 at 12:12 am

Tanna – Yes, I would totally add Tom Jones. Of course it is no Babette’s feast but maybe it could be a sub-category.

Like Pulp Fiction = the whole thing with the burger. Not a food movie but food is part of the running joke. (Note: not at all my best example)

My Life As A Reluctant Housewife

posted May 12th, 2006 at 3:49 pm

awesome list! i’d like to add my personal all-time favorite movie: Consuming Passions. a 1980s british comedy that was undoubtedly a total flop. it tells the story about the crazy hijinks that ensue after the accidental dumping of three live men into a vat of chocolate at a factory, where they are quickly processed into chocolates and shipped out across England. crazy! hijinks!

posted May 12th, 2006 at 7:14 pm

An old one, but some great food scenes, The Four Seasons, with Alan Alda and Carol Burnett. Great list–I loved Babette’s Feast and My Dinner with Andre. And I just thought of the Godfather movies, they have food scenes all through them, even a cooking lesson, when Michael is taught to make sauce by Clemenza during the time that the families are at war with each other.

posted May 15th, 2006 at 4:24 am

Don’t forget “Woman on Top“… not exactly a great film, but it’s a big valentine to food and passion.

- Sally
posted May 16th, 2006 at 3:14 pm

Oh La Grande Bouffe! It’s debauchery and it’s awful, in it’s truest sense. A must see for all of those who love to eat, and do, even when it hurts.

- Camille
posted December 1st, 2006 at 2:58 am

Tsai Ming Liang’s film
Aiqing wansui (1994)
… aka Vive L’Amour (USA)…………

unrequited love igniting crime of passion
all acted out on a melon.

Watermelon makes an appearance again in his film
Tian bian yi duo yun (2005)
… aka Saveur de la pastèque, La (France)
… aka The Wayward Cloud (International: English title)
… aka Un nuage au bord du ciel (France)

but in a less sophisticated, more heavy-handed manner

- sasha
posted July 6th, 2007 at 9:05 pm

A few I would add. Are people food?

Alive
Delicatessen
Soylent Green
Beerfest
Strange Brew
Barnone (A Vancouver predecessor of Waiting)
Ratatouille
Withnail & I – Druggy but quite culinary.
Cool Hand Luke
Wallace and Grommit; A grand day out.
Chungking Express
Dinner Rush
Spirited Away
Whiskey Galore
The Spaghetti Harvest from BBC’s April 1st 1957 Panorama – The mockumentary featuring a bumper crop if spaghetti in Switzerland thanks to a mild winter and the disappearance of the spaghetti weevil.

Nice additions. I saw the Spaghetti Harvest and had a War of the Worlds moment with it as a child.

- Arthur Bond
posted February 28th, 2008 at 7:41 am

[...] and that during a brief web search I found that someone else had had written about this same thing (Brownie Points Blog) from where I cribbed some of the titles above, but when you visit that site, you’ll realize [...]

posted July 15th, 2008 at 7:59 pm

There’s a lot of food, but the people don’t get to eat:

The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie

Godford Park had a few scenes revolving around cooking and eating.

How about fictional shows? Loved the BBC comedy Chef!

- Sienna Scorpio
posted July 15th, 2008 at 8:00 pm

Also No Reservations and Rataouille!

perfect updates Sienna- thanks!

- Sienna Scorpio
posted July 25th, 2008 at 9:13 am

For the tortuous reversal you must add The Discreet Charm of the Bourgoisie and if you foodies only want to eat, try watching this!

- jacqueline
posted February 23rd, 2009 at 8:09 pm

There is a totally awesome documentary about Garlic:

Garlic Is As Good As Ten Mothers (Les Blank – 51min – 1980)

Check out: http://www.lesblank.com

actually he’s got a few other food films, such as Yum, Yum, Yum!, and his newest, All In This Tea, (and lots of food and music in many of his films).

Tampopo and Big Night are my top favorites (along with Garlic Is As Good As Ten Mothers)

(just found this page googling “food movies” – I like the topic)

- Terry Slade
posted May 2nd, 2009 at 4:54 am

Mystic Pizza

and new this summer:
Food, Inc.

posted November 6th, 2009 at 9:02 pm

HELLO! Don’t forget “The Last Holiday” with Queen Latifah!!!! That is ALL food! I love that movie! I think I’ll watch it now…

- Jo Bingo
posted December 17th, 2014 at 7:19 pm

wonderful issues altogether, you simply won a new reader. What could you recommend in regards to your put up that you just made some days in the past? Any certain?