Rosemary Flowers

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

rosemary flowersMy rosemary is crazy happy- which makes me crazy happy too since I don’t garden! It is a huge bush that is beautifully in bloom right now.

Have you eaten rosemary flowers before? Know of recipes that call for them?

I’m off to make grilled shrimp, skewered on sharpened rosemary branches…

Monday, April 24th:

Rob asked a really good and obvious question in the comments on this post… What do they taste like?

I just gathered a couple of the blossoms. Eating the whole flower has a whirl of pine, lemon, and menthol flavors in my mouth. Its a slightly different flavor from nibbling on the fresh rosemary leaves on the same branch. Plucking just the petals and eating those alone yields mainly a light crunch.

I have a couple sitting in my water bottle to see if they lend any water soluble flavors. I’m currently scrounging my liquor cabinet for more vodka to steep these in!

posted April 19th, 2006 at 10:37 pm

I adore the smell of rosemary bushes, I always think of Croatia in summer when I smell them. Have never eaten the flowers…but if they are anything like the bush they should be tasty! Maybe you can make candied rosemary flowers like violets or rose petals?

• That’s a great idea (and memory!) Linda.. sugared rosemary flowers. I bet they would be great/pretty mixed in white chocolate ganache truffles.

– McAuliflower

posted April 20th, 2006 at 7:59 am

I like them on salad but I have also used them sprinkled on my rosemary chicken and roast potatoes.

• Thanks Amy- that sounds liek a great spring time touch to a wonderful spring dinner.

- Amy
posted April 20th, 2006 at 12:36 pm

I have never eaten nor have I ever seen rosemary flowers. They’re beautiful!

posted April 21st, 2006 at 9:23 pm

Aren’t rosemary flowers gorgeous? Like the world’s tiniest orchids! I usually sprinkle them on salads and the like as a garnish. Try floating them in iced drinks (hmmm, wonder what they’d do frozen in an ice cube? I’ve got a huge bush that’s blooming right now, must try it)

Do you have sage? Those flowers are also great. Fruit sage flowers are beautiful too…although a bit later in summer. How about barely opened chive flowers? Or thyme flowers…

I love spring!

posted April 23rd, 2006 at 1:31 pm

McAuliflower, what do they taste like? From the sounds of things, they’re more floral than herbaceous. Is that right?

If so, I’m reminded of a recipe from El Bulli I’ve been pondering: deep fried petals in tempura.

Just a thought….

- rob
posted April 23rd, 2006 at 3:22 pm

Yes! I make a dish of gently cooked beluga lentils, stirred with olive oil, sliced scallions, salt… whatever sounds proper to you. Topped with shredded celery root (raw) tossed with nothing more than rice vinegar, pepper, salt (and whatever else sounds proper to you). Sprinkle the whole creation with fresh rosemary flowers! Ahh.
(Rob: They taste like baby rosemary: floral, sure, but definitely rosemary.)

posted April 24th, 2006 at 6:48 am

My rosemary bush is also a glow with flowers. I’ll use the hint on sprinkling them on roasted chicken or maybe even as a salad topping.

posted April 27th, 2006 at 3:45 am

I’m so jealous! My rosemary bush has not bloomed at all. Of course, given the way plants usually react to me, I’m shocked and pleased that it is even alive.

• See- I’m also shocked that my bush has honored me with blossoms too. It’s nice in that I do nothing to maintain it! Viva living in Oregon. Here the gardeners problem seems to be with things growing too much!

Dang blackberries…
    McAuliflower

posted September 26th, 2006 at 11:19 am

is it possible to smoke the leaves of rosemary? how would you prepare the leaves to smoke

• Smoking as in culinary use? Sure, why not?
    I imagine, dry or not would work.

- guest
posted May 8th, 2009 at 6:00 pm

i love rosemary
I love the flowers

posted April 5th, 2010 at 11:30 am

Hi!

I’ve found that there are at least two different kinds of rosemary. My big bush of rosemary is the kind that DOESN’T have flowers. My little one has graceful, flowing branches – and LOTS of flowers!

Time to try them out in recipes, maybe even tea!

- Krystal