Sweet Candy Sushi

Saturday, April 1, 2006

Not Your Usual SushiHow to guide now up.

The combination of sweet tidbits and fake food has long held my fascination, especially when it comes to sushi. The masterminds at Kooki-Sushi
have my everlasting respect with the production of their amazing morsals that trick the eye. I’ve always wanted to try my hand at my own fakery, and finally made it a priority this week!

Just in time for April Fools…

sushi rollsnigiri assortment
This last week, my kitchen has been filled with rice crispie treats, and marshmallows galore! A truism that I forgot is that if making sushi is difficult- then the same goes for making fake sushi. I used rice crispie treats as the rice form, which was brushed with white chocolate to make it look more rice like. The toppings are a combination of fruit and marshmallow magic. The nori wrappers are chocolate melted with a touch of corn syrup and tinted with black and green food coloring.

sweet tamago salmon
Surprisngly, these are not sugar bombs. The outer coating of white chocolate tends to temper the over all flavor of sweetness when popped in your mouth. To recreate tamago, a rolled sweet egg omlette, I flavored a small batch of homemade marshmallows with lemon and colored it with a touch of food coloring. The marshmallow mix was spread out and rolled up when more solid. This treat of lemon with white chocolate is particularly tasty! The two flavors are quite mellow and light together. The recreation of a nice slice of salmon came from some nice dried fruit. Using either dried papaya or dried cantaloupe, roll it flat with a rolling pin and then cut it to size. As the dried fruit is very sweet, it benefits from being rolled thin to minimize its flavor dominance.

shrimpunagiThe shrimp was a tough one to recapture! Molded marshmallows created in a mold of cornstarch and then colored with my food coloring markers. That one was difficult! Another favorite piece of sushi- broiled eel, or unagi was completed with a small cut piece of vanilla marshmallow slab that was toasted and then belted with chocolate.

All in all, a fun adventure of candy making fun!

posted April 1st, 2006 at 1:38 pm

looks like somebody has been very busy! they look gorgeous…especially the one with the shrimp!

• yeah… it was a bit of an extended project! I took pictures of it in process, hope to get those up the next week :)

posted April 1st, 2006 at 7:04 pm

I could use one of the apricot roe ones now with a caramel drummi…. :) what a great snippet!

• Totally! I’d love to make fruit caviar to use as pretend roe for sweet sushi!

- mari
posted April 2nd, 2006 at 1:18 pm

Oh my, these are perfect! You must have the avowed patience of a saint.

posted April 3rd, 2006 at 6:00 pm

These look really good!

I was planning on bringing in regular sushi for my class because I’m doing a report on ancient japan. But I’m afraid no one will eat it. Instead I’m planning on using rice crispie treats in the middle then gummi bears in the was middle wrapped around fruit roll ups. I decided to make it funner and easier. :)

Thanks for the insperation!

• Sounds like fun! using Swedish fish on top, like pictured here, is another fun treatment.

- MM
posted April 4th, 2006 at 2:20 am

Wow – these look gorgeous. Someone definitely spent some time in the kitchen with these.
But no matter – they are fabulous.

posted April 4th, 2006 at 4:31 pm

McAuliflower, you’ve outdone yourself.

Your sushi are astonishing and amusing, and I love food with humour. I’m especially impressed with the tamago and shrimp.

- rob
posted May 12th, 2006 at 3:49 am

[...] For April Fool’s, McAuliflower over at Brownie Points made candy faux sushi that looks just like the real thing. [...]

posted July 13th, 2006 at 12:42 am

Congratulations on a job well done! What beautiful works of art!

I am looking for sushi candy to make for my son’s 6th birthday and yours just wowed me away. The nigiri sushi looked just like the real thing.

Thanks for sharing the tips.

- Lina H (australia)
posted April 1st, 2007 at 5:22 pm

These are amazing! WOW!

- cambridgejen
posted June 16th, 2007 at 9:25 am

that look so cool. one of my classmate brought something like that in for feast day. but the outside of the rice crispy, she use froot roll up and she put jelly beans on top. it look pretty cool. yours is cool too. lol.

- anonymos
posted August 12th, 2007 at 10:45 am

delious!

how can i get in your class?

just kidding

but there excellent!

- Sandy!
posted March 3rd, 2008 at 2:56 pm

how to make the caviar tiny balls with the apricot flavor or any other ?the rest is really stunning and easy .i will apreciate if you guide me and give me some clues how to form these tiny balls .i cannot figure it out .
all the best
raghida

- raghida hanna
posted April 21st, 2008 at 5:36 pm

Needed a printable version but when I went to print dessert sushi I ended up printing all 43 comments, etc. You need a ‘Printable version’ on your site – or did I just miss it?
thanks, dessert sushi looks really fun. natalie

- Natalie Neddersen
posted September 29th, 2008 at 6:04 pm

[...] myself. Snazzy Not Martha had given it a go, but I wasn’t so keen on using already made cake. This one, too fussy, this one awesome but again with the hostess cakes. I was turing into a modern faux [...]

posted February 16th, 2009 at 7:28 pm

THAT LOOKS COOL i AM GOING TO MAKE SOME TO

- BOB
posted June 15th, 2010 at 12:57 pm

How exactly did you make the chocolate nori wrappers?

- Angela
posted April 1st, 2012 at 7:44 pm

[...] Brownie Ponts Blog » Sweet Candy SushiDec 10, 2011 … Made this faux sushi from sweet sticky rice & used toppings made from fruit. This fruit sushi toppings made from cantaloupe & mango. Also faux … [...]

posted September 16th, 2014 at 4:52 pm

People such as for example moose, elk and caribou, don’t seem to head the area’s tough situations. Your local Chamber of Trade or authorities stop might help anyone about free sites to spend an.