Blood Oranges, Blood Zest

Sunday, March 26, 2006

Blood OrangeI’ve had a mixed bag of enjoyment with my blood oranges this season. My batch I bought specifically to have nice bloody red to contrast my golden beets ended up not being bloody!

Blood Oranges ZestedI just bought another batch of blood oranges from my neighborhood grocery. I couldn’t resist as these ones are bloody on the outside too! I’ve never seen ones with raspberry colored zest before… cool.

Infusing things in vodka is so satisfying to me, something about the magic of flavor transfusion gets me flush in the cheeks. As the blood oranges I’ve known in the past looked like normal oranges, I discounted the fun of flavoring alcohol with their zest. However, now that I’m presented with a raspberry colored zest, I find myself drowning these beautiful shreds with hopes of sweet fulfilment a week or two down the road.

I’m hoping to take the blood orange juice and transform it into pate de fruit, if I can find a pectin recipe that uses just fruit rather than fruit pulp.

Oh- the clincher as to why these blood oranges are so swell… their produce code sticker is 666!

posted March 26th, 2006 at 1:14 pm

I just bought four pounds of these at the farmers market yesterday…pure heaven.

I’m planning to make Shrimp Escabeche with Blood Orange Mojo again. (I substitute a little Meyers lemon, lime, and grapefruit juice in there, for the tang factor. Yum!

- Tana
posted March 28th, 2006 at 10:28 am

These are gorgeous, and I can’t wait to see the end result! I’ll keep my eye out for a recipe for you!

posted March 28th, 2006 at 6:06 pm

How beautiful.

I’ve sort of given up on buying blood oranges because I find the taste is usually disappointing. You’ve inspired me to give them another try.

posted March 28th, 2006 at 9:22 pm

McAuliflower, have you gotten anywhere with your pectin issues? I think you should just give it a whirl and see what happens.

As I see it, if you bring a sugar mixture with pectin to about 106C you should be fine. After all, that’s the temperature at which you know you got about a 60%ish water content in your mixture, so, assuming you’ve guessed right on the pectin and acid balance, you should get a gel.

I hope. What’s the worst that could happen anyway?

PS: I tried to answer your questions as best I could in a comment on my fruit pate post. Feel free to email me if you want to discuss it in more detail.

• Thanks Rob! I bought a bunch of oragne jucie to practice with. Unfortunatley I won’t have a moment to spare till this weekend! Drats…

- rob
posted March 29th, 2006 at 12:29 am

Evil, evil, McAuliflower ;) I yet have to figure out what shows that they hold on the inside what they promise on the outside. To me it seems it’s always a 50/50 chance I get quite unbloody ones…

posted April 2nd, 2006 at 5:59 pm

thats a beautiful image!

• Hey Tonx- thanks! I haven’t been to your site in awhile- amazing mosaic work up on the “espresso palace” entry!